Discuss BONDING METAL WORKTOPS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If It's not likely to bring in an earth from outside (extraneous) then no.
Thanks. All surfaces are metal so exposed and conductive. They could become live under fault conditions say a wire in piece of kitchen equipment was torn. So I would say yes extraneous.There are supply copper pipes in the kitchen which are bonded. Was thinking cud fit to them.

Thanks. All surfaces are metal so exposed and conductive. They could become live under fault conditions say a wire in piece of kitchen equipment was torn. So I would say yes extraneous.There are supply copper pipes in the kitchen which are bonded. Was thinking cud fit to them.
So could a metal chair or a knife.

I would say no, bonding not required.

Also, are they not movable counters, most commercial kitchens the work tops can be moved to help with cleaning down etc.
so therefore being mobile how would you attach wires to them?

So could a metal chair or a knife.
They are fxed in place unlike metal chair or fork so get ur point 😆 I know prob a silly question bit I have seen other kitchens bonded like hell. Maybe old regs. Was thinking that the RCBOs may be aqauate anyways.

These would most certainly NOT be extraneous conductive parts.

Unless the kitchen surfaces themselves extend externally and to the ground itself.

However I would consider them an extension of exposed conductive parts, and require supplementary bonding.

But it very much depends on circumstances, movable tables no, but if it is a complete kitchen fitted worktop with appliances resting on or adjacent to it I would add supplementary

Unless the kitchen surfaces themselves extend externally and to the ground itself.

However I would consider them an extension of exposed conductive parts, and require supplementary bonding.

But it very much depends on circumstances, movable tables no, but if it is a complete kitchen fitted worktop with appliances resting on or adjacent to it I would add supplementary
Julie that is great. Getting my head around meaning of extraneous. Some of the worktops are built in and others movable but have not been moved in 20 years. There is fixed equipment on the tops. There is pipework which has good bonding. Was considering connecting to this pipework as the DB is 25m away. I did a PAT last month and the the condition of some of the equipment was awful. Failed 3 items. Not a good environment for a metal surface.

Julie that is great. Getting my head around meaning of extraneous. Some of the worktops are built in and others movable but have not been moved in 20 years. There is fixed equipment on the tops. There is pipework which has good bonding. Was considering connecting to this pipework as the DB is 25m away. I did a PAT last month and the the condition of some of the equipment was awful. Failed 3 items. Not a good environment for a metal surface.
Bonding is covered in 415.xx I am not sure just picking up a connection from pipework is suitable.

I thought an exposed conductive part would need to be earthed, not bonded.

If an exposed conductive part, it requires earthing.
Is an extraneous conductive part, it requires bonding.
If neither of the above, it requires neither earthing nor bonding

Blame me for the mix up - I am learning. I take it using the pipework which has a good earth would be out of the question? Risk of plumbers replacing copper with plastic at some stage??

So I looked it up whilst waiting for the football to start (yawn).

415.2.1 covers supplementary bonding of exposed conductive parts, indicating that exposed conductive parts must be connected to both extraneous conductive parts (if simultaneously accessible) and the protective conductor of equipment and socket outlets.

Basically if you're bonding the extraneous conductive parts at the incomer this is the main protective bonding.
If you are earthing the exposed conductive parts of a piece of equipment, that's earthing.

If you are bonding multiple pieces of equipment's exposed conductive parts and/or anything else, that's supplementary bonding.

So I looked it up whilst waiting for the football to start (yawn).

415.2.1 covers supplementary bonding of exposed conductive parts, indicating that exposed conductive parts must be connected to both extraneous conductive parts (if simultaneously accessible) and the protective conductor of equipment and socket outlets.

Basically if you're bonding the extraneous conductive parts at the incomer this is the main protective bonding.
If you are earthing the exposed conductive parts of a piece of equipment, that's earthing.

If you are bonding multiple pieces of equipment's exposed conductive parts and/or anything else, that's supplementary bonding.
Lol so from 18th edition these metal worktops are counted as exposed conductive parts (although not equipment but some have equipment on them) and so should be earthed. And from you.... better to take the earth from the MET on the DB. Could in reality connect a earth bonding clip to each leg underneath to ensure all 6 are adequately earthed.

Lol so from 18th edition these metal worktops are counted as exposed conductive parts (although not equipment but some have equipment on them) and so should be earthed. And from you.... better to take the earth from the MET on the DB. Could in reality connect a earth bonding clip to each leg underneath to ensure all 6 are adequately earthed.
If none of these metal tables etc are not connected to any earth (you said you tested) then they don't need bonding

If none of these metal tables etc are not connected to any earth (you said you tested) then they don't need bonding
Wish I had a pic Mainline. Two are metal tables which havent moved in 20 years. The other metal tops are connected to fabric of the building ie filed in. Yea there is no earth on ANYTHING!!!!! Am I getting bonding and earthing mixed up????

Wish I had a pic Mainline. Two are metal tables which havent moved in 20 years. The other metal tops are connected to fabric of the building ie filed in. Yea there is no earth on ANYTHING!!!!! Am I getting bonding and earthing mixed up????
I know bonding ensures everything is at the same potential. Earthing ensures a conductive path to ground

Metal is just that, it doesn't make it an exposed conductive part, it only becomes an exposed conductive part if there is a possibility of a live conductor (due to a fault of some type) making it live.

So a random metal worktop would not require any bonding or earthing.

However if the worktop arrangement or use makes it possible; then it needs supplementary bonding.

It is not clear cut.

In general if you have fixed metal worktops, and electrical equipment on them in a commercial kitchen environment, I would consider it needs bonding.

What would happen if trailing leads for kitchen tools got damaged and came in contact with the metal worktop? In general the way most commercial kitchens end up, I would bond.

But there is no absolute requirement.

Metal is just that, it doesn't make it an exposed conductive part, it only becomes an exposed conductive part if there is a possibility of a live conductor (due to a fault of some type) making it live.

So a random metal worktop would not require any bonding or earthing.

However if the worktop arrangement or use makes it possible; then it needs supplementary bonding.

It is not clear cut.

In general if you have fixed metal worktops, and electrical equipment on them in a commercial kitchen environment, I would consider it needs bonding.

What would happen if trailing leads for kitchen tools got damaged and came in contact with the metal worktop? In general the way most commercial kitchens end up, I would bond.

But there is no absolute requirement.
Yea that's kinda my intuition Julie particularly with the trailing wires and faulty equipment I found. Saving grace- They have RCBO. I could run earth from the DB Met to the kitchen and connect to the leg of each metal bench. Parts of them are tiled in so could not be deemed movable. What is you thought process on not using the copper pipes?? Insufficient earth or risk from plumbers breaking conductive part with plastic pipe?

I always run the balance between options.

Option 1 - supplementary bonding in accordance with 415.2.1

If there is a fault of poor cabling etc contacting the worktop and the person with wet hands, there is a big bang, no current goes through the person to speak of , no one dies, you don't go to court.

Option 2 - it's not mandatory to bond so no bond.

If there is a fault of poor cabling etc contacting the worktop and the person with wet hands, the current goes through the person, even though the rcbo trips (or perhaps fails to) the shock is still sufficient to cause serious injury or death, you go to court, but can prove you did comply with the minimum requirements, so would likely be able to fend off any charges etc.

That's my reasoning! I would prefer the former rather than the latter.

As for the Connections, take a look at 415.2.1, it makes it fairly clear what is suitable.

I would bond between pipes, tables and the earth/cpc points of the socket outlets all locally.

I always run the balance between options.

Option 1 - supplementary bonding in accordance with 415.2.1

If there is a fault of poor cabling etc contacting the worktop and the person with wet hands, there is a big bang, no current goes through the person to speak of , no one dies, you don't go to court.

Option 2 - it's not mandatory to bond so no bond.

If there is a fault of poor cabling etc contacting the worktop and the person with wet hands, the current goes through the person, even though the rcbo trips (or perhaps fails to) the shock is still sufficient to cause serious injury or death, you go to court, but can prove you did comply with the minimum requirements, so would likely be able to fend off any charges etc.

That's my reasoning! I would prefer the former rather than the latter.

As for the Connections, take a look at 415.2.1, it makes it fairly clear what is suitable.

I would bond between pipes, tables and the earth/cpc points of the socket outlets all locally.
We must also remember that items that weren't required to be bonded in certain faults can also be dangerous.
Coming into contact with a live conductor and that now earthed table is going to hurt.

Last edited:

Reply to BONDING METAL WORKTOPS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock