Discuss Bonding metallic back boxes. Best practice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
Something about the way this box is bonded feels wrong. I prefer the box to remain bonded even with the accessory removed. Is this method compliant? What do others think? (Ignore missing grommet)
(Taylor Wimpey new build)778C16DB-397F-4C32-9796-933CF268C045.jpeg

The earthing looks ok. In fact as one of the lugs is fixed the bond between the socket and the box is not required, but good practice. As no one should be in there with the power on the box does not need to be earthed with the socket removed.

Something about the way this box is bonded feels wrong. I prefer the box to remain bonded even with the accessory removed. Is this method compliant? What do others think? (Ignore missing grommet)
(Taylor Wimpey new build)View attachment 53213
Nothing wrong there Mate apart, from the muck in the box it's a common earth bar. Oh and as Tel says it's not bonded it's earthed

and Stevie Wonder did the plastering and decorating?

Standard practice

I to don't like the earth twisted around the live but that's just me
Tgat probably happened wholst the socket was being pushed back into the back box, wouldn't have been evident until some one released the socket from the box, youre a hard Man to please DD, lol :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it's an RFC, it's a pity they didn't take advantage of the dual earth terminals on the socket for the two legs of the ring

I think Mark is aiming at a point of very specific detail here. In the UK we have socket outlets with either one or two earth terminals. Historically, for 50 years the convention with a ring final circuit was to connect both legs of the ring to one terminal. Then, a regulation came in that required a high integrity CPC if the expected total leakage on the circuit exceeds 10mA. One advantage of the RFC (and many of our sockets are on RFC's) is that it provides two parallel CPCs which serve the purpose of a high-integrity CPC if they are separately terminated using a dual terminal socket.

In Mark's pic, the socket has dual terminals, not needed specifically as a domestic RFC is not considered a high leakage circuit. But instead of putting the two legs separately in the two terminals, they have put them both in one and used the other for the back box strap. I would say it's fine, but it's a pity not to gain the advantage of the high integrity CPC where dual terminal sockets are installed.

Last edited:

Reply to Bonding metallic back boxes. Best practice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net