Discuss Bonding of central heating boiler in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sivoodoo

Hi all,

Do I have to bond all the copper pipes at the combi boiler if the 3 conditions below are met?

i) 30mA rcd protection on all circuits
ii) Disconection times are met
iii) Main bonding to gas and water in place.

Regards

Hi all,

Do I have to bond all the copper pipes at the combi boiler if the 3 conditions below are met?

Regards

No you do not:) plus your find most boilers today have there own bonding clamps across all the pipes.

p.s i miss cross bonding the pipes at the boiler as it use to be a work of art with my evenly spaced clips and loops:p

Supplementary bonding is not required in a bath or shower room if all the extraneous conductive parts of the installation are connected to the main equipotential bonding.Reg 701.415.2.

hello. are u talking about main or supplementary bonding? if it main bond flow and return is all u need the rest of pipes are irrelvant as long as u al ready bonded gas and water.:D

hello. are u talking about main or supplementary bonding? if it main bond flow and return is all u need the rest of pipes are irrelvant as long as u al ready bonded gas and water.:D

Why do you need to bond the flow and return if he has bonded the gas and water main!! and all the circuits are protected by an rcd?

Hi all,

Regards

You are right, you don't need to cross bond the pipes as you have met the RCD requirements,
However "Corgi" and I should imagine as they are now "Gas Safe" rerquire the plumber to bond the pipes.

well we were told that when I did the 17th course a couple of months ago

Richard

You are right, you don't need to cross bond the pipes as you have met the RCD requirements,
However "Corgi" and I should imagine as they are now "Gas Safe" rerquire the plumber to bond the pipes.

Richard

You are right!!! when i rewired a house a couple of months back, they had some grant work for the house to have complete new plumbing as well, which there firm had there own electrician to wire the boiler and stat etc!! he also cross bonded the pipes even though i was rewiring to 17th edition, he said that for corgi they where still following the 16th Regs:confused: My question is if we as electricians under say Nic or Elecsa have to follow 17th why do corgi get away with doing work under 16th?

.... My question is if we as electricians under say Nic or Elecsa have to follow 17th why do corgi get away with doing work under 16th?

I guess that it is because the work they are doing to the 16th results in the installation being no less safe, even if it is to an old version of the regs...It would be an issue if it were less safe.

Yooj

You are right!!! when i rewired a house a couple of months back, they had some grant work for the house to have complete new plumbing as well, which there firm had there own electrician to wire the boiler and stat etc!! he also cross bonded the pipes even though i was rewiring to 17th edition, he said that for corgi they where still following the 16th Regs:confused: My question is if we as electricians under say Nic or Elecsa have to follow 17th why do corgi get away with doing work under 16th?

Question
What do you call an intelligent plumber

Answer
An electrician.... :)

The plumbers do not know why they put the cross bonding on the pipes all they know is that we did it for the 16th edition regs and they have just copied and even been told by their governing body.

I think it comes down to monkey see monkey do

(WEG)

Richard

Unfotunately, it's the manufacturers recomendations, which in turn has more clout than 16th or 17th reg's.
It's the same principle as having a bathroom with supplementry bonding, say to the 16th edition, there was no requirement to rcd the shower in our regs, but the manufacturers demanded rcd protection.

Plumbers; shxt flows down-wards and payday's Friday :D

Richard

no such word as cross bonding.only main equip,and supplement bondingi in regs.tut tut.bad phrase.:rolleyes:

Reply to Bonding of central heating boiler in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock