Discuss Bonding of gas when pipe is plastic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Under the 18th there is the new line Regulation 411.3.1.2
'Metallic pipes entering the building having an insulating section at their entrance need not be connected to the protective equipotential bonding.'

Got me thinking as in the last half hour a regular customer has rung me up asking if I could install a new gas bond as some thieving so and so cut the copper wire off the wall and disconnected it in the gas meter box outside.
Made me wonder before I have a look at the damage when passing by, that if the main incoming pipe to the meter is the standard mdpe yellow plastic then does it still need bonding?
I have read online the advice from the IET is that installers now need to check whether the incoming gas has a insulating insert - by insert i assume they mean plastic pipe for a section before going to standard copper within the property?
Since we can now work to either the 18th or stick with 17th until January it got me thinking.
Obviously i dont want to be turning work down but at the same time I am not one to fleece previous customers with un-necessary work where if there is plastic pipe at the service head then it appears it is not needed.

Just test from the supplier earth to the pipe with your mft, then you'll know for sure whether it can introduce a potential.
Unfortunately gas regs require a bond somewhere relative to the meter so you may have to keep someone happy anyway.

I can see this reg being a bollox for us with the Gas man and the DNO's. In a new build all the meter installer is trained to look for is an earth bond to gas and water. If it's not there, they seem to like walking away leaving a defect notice.

The thing that gets me with these changes is it seems to only be electricians who are worling to them. It seems plumbers. Gas fitters and carpenters where fire proof fixings are required do not give a second thought. We are slowly becoming over regulated.
Gas Man and Plumbers have been taking the ---- with earthing for years.
"Safety Electrical Connection Do not remove"...always see it floating after they have been in, earths cut.

Plumbers won't give a hoot about fire proof fixings, they use plastic everywhere a metre away from cylinder and boiler.

I can see this reg being a bollox for us with the Gas man and the DNO's. In a new build all the meter installer is trained to look for is an earth bond to gas and water. If it's not there, they seem to like walking away leaving a defect notice.
I agree, I chuck in a 10mm to the water on newbuilds regardless of it being plastic....just for the meter monkey. I have been known to put a clamp on with a meter of 10mm pushed in to the wall and when the meter monkey has gone, take the clamp off and pull the cable out :eek:

Last edited:
It says to refer to Chapter 54 initially where this is mentioned but the statement appears to be cut and dry.

Well i called in this evening whilst waiting for the chinese take away to sort out the order. Turns out the reason he noticed the cable was missing was that he had wales & west out to fit a new gas meter, normally they wont do any work if bonding isn't up to scratch, they left a defect notice telling him to get his gas bonded due to the stolen length of cable..previously it ran from cu out the wall at bottom/side of door and along wall to gas meter cabinet. He has also had a dual tariff smart meter fitted on Thursday just gone since the gas people came out on the 9th. They didnt notice anything... I thought naively that they were meant to check bonding etc before changing a meter? smart meter fitters are known to run a mile to get out of fitting one.
Could see one of the neighbours has there bonding missing too! but were not in so couldnt offer to put it right. but the customer is going to speak to them, so might have a few nice little jobs coming up.

Reply to Bonding of gas when pipe is plastic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net