Discuss Bonding of Water pipes (plastic incomes) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm seeing a problem with electrician's here.

Why do we need a bond to any item. Lets get rid of all CPC its not needed for anything some nations don't use CPC. so why use it. RCD don't use CPC its a voltage difference.

Do we use it for testing only. Its a copper bit of cable to mean anything.

There is the 19th edition soon it maybe a cost saver.

Moose I'm not sure whether you're trying to wind us up here or not!
A circuit protective conductor is not a bonding conductor and serves a different purpose.
So even if the bonding to water and gas is not needed in a certain situation, the CPCs would still be absolutely an essential part of every circuit.

Actually ADS was formerly know as EEBADS. Earthed equipotential bonding, automatic disconnection of supply. 2 different but related systems.
The bonding is to ensure that all exposed and extraneous conductive parts will rise to the same voltage potential for the duration of an earth fault. ADS ensures that the fault will be disconnected automatically within a specified time.
I'm sure you know all this. Just not sure why you are questioning the way we do things.
Anyway, time for some beauty sleep methinks...

I'm seeing a problem with electrician's here.

Why do we need a bond to any item. Lets get rid of all CPC its not needed for anything some nations don't use CPC. so why use it. RCD don't use CPC its a voltage difference.

Do we use it for testing only. Its a copper bit of cable to mean anything.

There is the 19th edition soon it maybe a cost saver.
And exactly what is the problem you are seeing with the electrician's here ?

as loz2754 clearly states. bond ing has nothing to do with ADS.
still see loads of hot/cold pipes linked under sinks though. that's 2 x BS951's into van stock and 6" of 6.0mm into my scrap collection.

A lot of people mistaking believe that you bond a water, gas or heating pipe incase the pipe becomes live. Obviously that is not why we carry out bonding, however it is obvious that electricians who believe this really need to go back to the basics and the understanding of what an extraneous conductive part is and bonding principles.

To all I hope you have a better new year this year rather than the one we just had. I also want to apologise for the use of the word electricians and all quote. Was below the belt. As there are some very clever electricians in this forum.

I was in my mind looking at a blue pipe and from my memory of that blue pipe was a question where the OP said is it worth bonding.

My ADS is - If you can, make sure you can on site if the plumber is there, get it done. If not make a note.

As for bonding. I still make sure that a property has the correct figures at distance example a bathroom bath point. Worst I have seen is 0.14ohms and added a CPC to the metal bath. I thought that was reasonable. You will die still in the bath as unfortunately you need a faster trip time than RCD and RCDO can give at present.
I believe under 6ms, but tech changes all the time. Lets hope.

To all I hope you have a better new year this year rather than the one we just had. I also want to apologise for the use of the word electricians and all quote. Was below the belt. As there are some very clever electricians in this forum.

I was in my mind looking at a blue pipe and from my memory of that blue pipe was a question where the OP said is it worth bonding.

My ADS is - If you can, make sure you can on site if the plumber is there, get it done. If not make a note.

As for bonding. I still make sure that a property has the correct figures at distance example a bathroom bath point. Worst I have seen is 0.14ohms and added a CPC to the metal bath. I thought that was reasonable. You will die still in the bath as unfortunately you need a faster trip time than RCD and RCDO can give at present.
I believe under 6ms, but tech changes all the time. Lets hope.

Indeed, and a happy new to you too.

I think perhaps it is partly a terminology thing. The cable to the bath would be a bonding cable, not a CPC.

Yeah I just call it all CPC usually working get that cable to there. etc/ I not do many of this full on talk stuff. Defo a what you said DPG as I don't know how to quote or praise people and other computer stuff.

I'm software lame, but I can build PC great fun.

Reply to Bonding of Water pipes (plastic incomes) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net