Discuss Bonding water and gas services in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys after some advice. Been called to job where the house has been renevated and rewired about a year ago and put in some addition lights and sockets. There is a 10mm Earth wire from the MET which I'm told is going to the incoming gas pipe under the floor but is not accessible and there is no bond to the water which is plastic into the house then copper from there. The water is not accessible at the incoming position as the new kitchen has been built around it. Can I bond the both of the services at the boiler position as this is the only place where they are easily accessible? Thanks in advance

your first job will be to get a reading from accessible copper water pipe to MET. if it's > 22K ohms on IR test then it does not require bonding. if it's < 1 ohm on continuity test, consider it bonded already.

Surely you would be dependent on parallel earth paths rather then a true earth. If I wasn't able to visibly see a connection to earth I would class this as a c2.

Hi guys after some advice. Been called to job where the house has been renevated and rewired about a year ago and put in some addition lights and sockets. There is a 10mm Earth wire from the MET which I'm told is going to the incoming gas pipe under the floor but is not accessible and there is no bond to the water which is plastic into the house then copper from there. The water is not accessible at the incoming position as the new kitchen has been built around it. Can I bond the both of the services at the boiler position as this is the only place where they are easily accessible? Thanks in advance 

All the pipework connected to the boiler is secured through a bloody great metal manifold which is part of the boiler and which itself "should" be earthed anyway! I cannot think of a better earth bond than that!!

Gone are the days when we foolishly looped bits of 6mm green/yellow from pipe-to pipe at the boiler.

Hi guys after some advice. Been called to job where the house has been renevated and rewired about a year ago and put in some addition lights and sockets. There is a 10mm Earth wire from the MET which I'm told is going to the incoming gas pipe under the floor but is not accessible and there is no bond to the water which is plastic into the house then copper from there. The water is not accessible at the incoming position as the new kitchen has been built around it. Can I bond the both of the services at the boiler position as this is the only place where they are easily accessible? Thanks in advance 

THIS ------>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38PfIVy2rI

.............. is what you need!!

All the pipework connected to the boiler is secured through a bloody great metal manifold which is part of the boiler and which itself "should" be earthed anyway! I cannot think of a better earth bond than that!!

Gone are the days when we foolishly looped bits of 6mm green/yellow from pipe-to pipe at the boiler.

Indeed. Which makes testing whether the water supply is extraneous can sometimes be impossible without disconnecting the boiler supply, immersion heater and the gas bond.

To be honest, if the gas is bonded and I can see that the incoming water pipe is polythene, I usually take the view that the water pipe doesn't require bonding.

Indeed. Which makes testing whether the water supply is extraneous can sometimes be impossible without disconnecting the boiler supply, immersion heater and the gas bond.

To be honest, if the gas is bonded and I can see that the incoming water pipe is polythene, I usually take the view that the water pipe doesn't require bonding.

Bear in mind that nowadays gas pipes entering properties are often plastic as well. ;)

Bear in mind that nowadays gas pipes entering properties are often plastic as well. ;)

Quite. Although, if it's not too much trouble, it's often worth bonding the metallic gas pipe on the consumer's side of the meter just to avoid hassle from gas fitters.

Quite. Although, if it's not too much trouble, it's often worth bonding the metallic gas pipe on the consumer's side of the meter just to avoid hassle from gas fitters.

Hah! ..... the last one I did I fixed a nice bit of 6mm G / Y to the gas pipe and poked the end of it into a gap in the brick pointing. It looks great, but does SFA other than keep the B.G numpties quiet.

Hah! ..... the last one I did I fixed a nice bit of 6mm G / Y to the gas pipe and poked the end of it into a gap in the brick pointing. It looks great, but does SFA other than keep the B.G numpties quiet.

cheapskate. you should have used 10mm.

thats funny, tickled me that

This always frustrates me, why do gas engineers demand the gas be bonded even if it is not extraneous, is it in their regs that it needs to be bonded regardless? They act like it is anyway.

just stick a manometer up your arse the next time you feel a fart coming on.

thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated. Had to take the gas bond to the boiler position as that is the first place it is accessible on entering the house so looped it onto the water there too.

I was told it is bonded under the floor and I had a low reading to earth from the pipe work but thought for the sake of putting a few meters of 10mm in at least I know it's done right

Reply to Bonding water and gas services in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock