Discuss Book times for chopping boxes in walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stimpy

Evening,

Anyone know the book/industry times for chopping 1g & 2g 35mm back boxes in concrete block and then fixing . All using power tools.

I know how long it would take me! But will be subbies... My luckins doesnt list it and my old spons only has chopping by hand times which I reckon my mum could do quicker...

TIA

surely it depends on what the building fabric is? I just installed two spurs in my own garage and I swear it was the hardest concrete block I have ever encountered. I have also just done done a kitchen rewire where the plaster etc just fell out as soon as I showed it the SDS. Every job is different.

Also on that same job, it involved lots of chasing, split the ring and added 4 new points, and as is my method, plastered my cables and boxes in with Hardwall (no fixings - you'd have to see it to understand). What with adding lighting for under cabinets and a cooker point, lifting and replacing floorboards and carpet, tracing and disconnecting unused points etc it took me 2 days of sweat and toil on my own. I charged £250 labour. Any thoughts?

surely it depends on what the building fabric is? I just installed two spurs in my own garage and I swear it was the hardest concrete block I have ever encountered. I have also just done done a kitchen rewire where the plaster etc just fell out as soon as I showed it the SDS. Every job is different.

Also on that same job, it involved lots of chasing, split the ring and added 4 new points, and as is my method, plastered my cables and boxes in with Hardwall (no fixings - you'd have to see it to understand). What with adding lighting for under cabinets and a cooker point, lifting and replacing floorboards and carpet, tracing and disconnecting unused points etc it took me 2 days of sweat and toil on my own. I charged £250 labour. Any thoughts?
Sounds very fair. And,you earned it the hard way. :stooge_curly:

Flip me that rinsin it a bit aint it? I could chop in, put the socket on, test it and on the way home within an hour.

I think there is sarcasm there.

I work in a factory environment where the general operators have timed jobs and have to make so many parts per hour, there were some jobs which were untimed and trusted operators were allowed to work away at their own pace, a new supervisor eager to make a name for himself ordered a time study and for targets to be introduced the result was the operators worked to rule and productivity was actually less on these jobs than the previous untimed output, i think the moral of the story is it'll take as long as needed.

I work in a factory environment where the general operators have timed jobs and have to make so many parts per hour, there were some jobs which were untimed and trusted operators were allowed to work away at their own pace, a new supervisor eager to make a name for himself ordered a time study and for targets to be introduced the result was the operators worked to rule and productivity was actually less on these jobs than the previous untimed output, i think the moral of the story is it'll take as long as needed.

Seen this also. Target 100 units per hour, but often a good shift could knock out a few more. Management decide to start timing things and trying to speed things up, so operators stopped when they reached 100 :) Daz

a very sharp chisel or bolster is needed to actually cut the concrete block
a small angle grinder with one of those thin cutting discs too

The moral of the story is if you go messing good blokes about just to try to make a name for your self then you'll get just that - but it won't be in the Bible.

Yes mate sarcasm was the intention

Just use an sds with comb chisel on the end, I could probably knock a box hole out in a minute then fix the box, but then again, if you are talking of engineering brick you are going to be mounting it in, then add a few more mins on.

Hmmm, anyone got anything actually useful to say based on the actual Original Post regarding book times??

Peppa Pig was funny mind :)

Reply to Book times for chopping boxes in walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net