Discuss booking my 2391 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

wrighty

-
Arms
Reaction score
hey, well ive decided to go ahead and tackle the 2391, im gunna ring and book it tomorrow the course is 14/5/12, and exam sometime in june cant remember exact date, dont get me wrong im not the most experienced spark and im not totally confident ill pass, (partly down to the low success rate) but im sure as hell going to give it my best shot as im paying for it myself out of my own pocket. I feel this is my only option to get back into employment having been made redundant a month ago. so for all you guys out there that have sat it and wouldnt mind helping a first timer out im all eyes.

Whats the best books to buy?

what to expect from the course?

what exactly does the practical consist of? (im in fear of a complete mind block when i get in there and want to prevent this)

any help guys will be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Hey don't put yourself down all you need to do is study Gn3 know it inside out,do lots of past papers & use the correct terms they are s**t hot on that, good luck to you.

hey, well ive decided to go ahead and tackle the 2391, im gunna ring and book it tomorrow the course is 14/5/12, and exam sometime in june cant remember exact date, dont get me wrong im not the most experienced spark and I'm not totally confident I'll pass, (partly down to the low success rate) but im sure as hell going to give it my best shot as im paying for it myself out of my own pocket. I feel this is my only option to get back into employment having been made redundant a month ago. so for all you guys out there that have sat it and wouldnt mind helping a first timer out im all eyes.

Whats the best books to buy?

what to expect from the course?

what exactly does the practical consist of? (im in fear of a complete mind block when i get in there and want to prevent this)

any help guys will be greatly appreciated

Red bit, lose that attitude for starters!
Guidance Note 3 is the bible you need, but don't rush out and buy one, new edition coming out soon, if not now.
Read and read that book then read and read it again so it's ingrained on your mind.
Go to all the lectures and practicals, listen, make notes, ask questions, everyone else is scared of asking them!
The practical is a standard test rig, you should get chance to have a look, possible work through beforehand.

And, as already said, there is a mine of 2391 info on here, if you can find it!

yeh buying GN3 n exam success this weekend, the F word isnt in my vocabulary, ive never F..... anything so far and i arnt about to start now, Bring it on, onwards n upwards to better things. cheers for your help guys

I just did the practical today and it's very straightforward as long as you keep calm and work methodically. There's a rig with 12 faults to find, all are visual and all are pretty obvious. Next there's an insulation resistance test in two sections, the first is clear and the second will have a fault. You must identify the faulty circuit and the conductors affected. Next is your standard 10 step 3-phase safe isolation and finally a two hour periodic inspection report. You have to complete the paperwork as you go so familiarise yourself with this.

Peas for the theory, my NIC field agent marks the 2391 paper and warned me that the biggest failures are caused by people completely misunderstanding the question. We did four past papers before our theory a exam and every one of us got caught out time and time again with this. Our tutor gave us a tip which helped doubly...

Read every single question on the paper before answering any of them. Mark each question with a tick if you're comfortable with it and a cross if not. At the end you should have far more ticks than crosses. This sets your mind at ease, and also forces you to read each question twice so you're less likely to misinterpret the information.

Its tough for sure, but I'm sure you can do it, be positive and all the best!

managed to get on the course for the 28/5/12 after been told it was full 1st time round, quite glad about this gives me abit more time to familarise myself with GN3 n do some past papers before going on the course to see where im at.

Reply to booking my 2391 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net