• Please don't put your personal contact details in this area of the forum. These are public threads and everybody will see them. Including spammers. Even dodgy companies who cold call you. Instead of doing that, click on a persons username and click 'Start Conversation' and share those details between yourselves. :)

Discuss Books. I need books. Can I buy your books? in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Christian, im 30 years old and i have an over whelming urge to re train as an Electrician. Currently working in Payroll and desperate to make that move. My current situation is - I cant yet afford a college course and haven't decided on which way to go. There are a lot of courses out there. What i do want to do is get cracking on with the theory! I want to start studying so that when i do make that leap, i have the theoretical knowledge ill need to succeed. Thats where you come in! I hope.

If you have any material i can purchase to help get me started please let me know! If you've completed any college courses and have some books you no longer use, id love to make you an offer! The C&G 2365 books to buy on Amazon are very expensive so i'd love to find someone who has these lying around collecting dust.

Im talking anything and everything! I want to soak in every bit of info i can.

If you have anything or know anyone who does please send them my way! :)

i suggest that you first start with youtube videos by John Ward, and Chris Kirtcher. these are very informative and easier to absorb than printed word.
Hi mate, thanks for the reply! Its appreciated. Ive been smashing the JW vids. He's great! and so funny. Although i'm not sure if he means to, he has me in stitches with his dryness. He knows his stuff, does great diagrams and goes into so much depth he's awesome!

You can pick up older books on amazon for peanuts, 17th amend 3 but for basic theory and regs ref practice they’d help but as above with @telectrix watch the videos and ref to the books and good luck....can I ask why electrics?

You can pick up older books on amazon for peanuts, 17th amend 3 but for basic theory and regs ref practice they’d help but as above with @telectrix watch the videos and ref to the books and good luck....can I ask why electrics?
Might sound silly sorry mate but what is 17th amend? Is it what predates the 18th Edition? And ive always had the idea in the back of my mind (im not too sure why to be honest - i find the basic principles of electricity fascinating) but a few years ago, i got to know the Electrician who re-wired my house and found him/his knowledge fascinating. Since then ive toyed with the idea but didnt think it was a practical thing to do at this stage in my life. But sack that! Lifes too short and im not going to lie on my death bed and look back with regrets. I want passion in my life. I also like the idea of joinery work, bench joinery if anything but i think my interest and skill set would be be ideal in Electrics. I hope!

Thanks for the reply Baddegg!

If you were me, and planned on potentially doing lvl 2 & 3 2365 - What would you focus on the most at home prior to starting? is there something im going to come up against thats very difficult.

@JohnsonsAces , I started out like you are now, wrong age for an apprenticeship and not enough savings to study and pay fees.

I, like other have suggested above, have spent most of my time (prior to starting college in September last year) watching videos on YouTube, first one I watched was from Gaz & Joe from GSH Electrical/eFixx/Joe Rowlenson Training, from there I ended up finding the YouTube sparks that most people know; Nagy, CJR, @dseselectric , Nick bundy to name a few (there are more).

I grabbed old copies of BS7671 and associated OSGs (Brown, Red, yellow, Green and current; Blue - order of older ones may not be in esquire but basically I've got back to 14th Edition...mostly just because but I do like seeing change so between them.

Next I got myself familiar with wholesalers (CEF, Screwfix, Toolstation) and just familiarised myself with the materials and tools of the trade. I've built myself a rig to play with; terminating cables, inspection and testing and recently added in metalwork; trunking, tray, ladder, again to familiarise myself with them, from there I found copies of diagrams from my course (test rig and EOY assessment and built and stripped and built and stripped til I with comfortable with them.

I'm nowhere near perfect by any stretch, my metalworking is not great but I can do everytihing else to a good standard.

Before I started college and I was a adament thst this is what I wanted to do I started (on Amazon Prime day) to get together the tools I would need for my trade (loads of basic kit liss out there're, find one that works for you and don't be afraid to try a new tool. I built my kit with 1-2 tools a month (£30-50 budget) and I'd say I more or less there. I committed myself to the trade by getting hold of an MFT and practicing with it daily, the way I saw it, the more I used it the more streamlined I'll get with it.
As for Books; eBay and Amazon (and Facebook Marketplace) are your friends, I got my BS7671 18th edition from Facebook for £55 from a spark who was stepping away from the industry, bargain and my MFT was an eBay job; Megger 1731 for £450~ (New they are twice and three times that.

That's how I got where I am at the mo, I hope it helps you decide how to start your journey

@JohnsonsAces , I started out like you are now, wrong age for an apprenticeship and not enough savings to study and pay fees.

I, like other have suggested above, have spent most of my time (prior to starting college in September last year) watching videos on YouTube, first one I watched was from Gaz & Joe from GSH Electrical/eFixx/Joe Rowlenson Training, from there I ended up finding the YouTube sparks that most people know; Nagy, CJR, @dseselectric , Nick bundy to name a few (there are more).

I grabbed old copies of BS7671 and associated OSGs (Brown, Red, yellow, Green and current; Blue - order of older ones may not be in esquire but basically I've got back to 14th Edition...mostly just because but I do like seeing change so between them.

Next I got myself familiar with wholesalers (CEF, Screwfix, Toolstation) and just familiarised myself with the materials and tools of the trade. I've built myself a rig to play with; terminating cables, inspection and testing and recently added in metalwork; trunking, tray, ladder, again to familiarise myself with them, from there I found copies of diagrams from my course (test rig and EOY assessment and built and stripped and built and stripped til I with comfortable with them.

I'm nowhere near perfect by any stretch, my metalworking is not great but I can do everytihing else to a good standard.

Before I started college and I was a adament thst this is what I wanted to do I started (on Amazon Prime day) to get together the tools I would need for my trade (loads of basic kit liss out there're, find one that works for you and don't be afraid to try a new tool. I built my kit with 1-2 tools a month (£30-50 budget) and I'd say I more or less there. I committed myself to the trade by getting hold of an MFT and practicing with it daily, the way I saw it, the more I used it the more streamlined I'll get with it.
As for Books; eBay and Amazon (and Facebook Marketplace) are your friends, I got my BS7671 18th edition from Facebook for £55 from a spark who was stepping away from the industry, bargain and my MFT was an eBay job; Megger 1731 for £450~ (New they are twice and three times that.

That's how I got where I am at the mo, I hope it helps you decide how to start your journey
That's dedication @Lister1987 . Well done.

Just remember mate there are quick routes to qualifications but no quick routes to knowledge and experience.....@lister1987 is the perfect example of someone willing to go the extra mile to achieve what he wants, I’d use him as ya bench mark, you’ll get a wealth of information from this site there are some extremely clever people on here and good luck mate

if you’re in no rush, I should be able to get hold of some training dockets covering electrical principles and science from the basic level moving right the way up to the more advanced stuff, along with engineering maths which will cover all your electrical calculations etc...

Thanks Lester1987! That's perfect advice!! And what you've done is exactly what I want to do. It's great to have someone lay it all out for me like that. What course are you currently on if you dont mind me asking? Im thinking of doing lvl 2 2365 (distance learning) with training electrical to start with. The costs is just shy of £2000. I dont like the idea of these fast track courses, theres no way I'll be able to take everything in in 18 days or so. I want to get the material/materials and like you, do things over and over until I feel comfortable enough and know its sunk in good and proper before I move on. One concern I do have with studying solo prior to enrolling on a course is the order in which a learn things. I imagine theres a logical order. Of course H&S comes first lol but when you get into the nity grity stuff there much be a logical way of learning. Have you managed to get any work experience? If I get a CSCS card are many contractors likely to use me as a free weekend mate/labourer do you think? Or do I really at least a qual first.

Again, great reply mate I appreciate it.
[automerge]1584137617[/automerge]
Just remember mate there are quick routes to qualifications but no quick routes to knowledge and experience.....@lister1987 is the perfect example of someone willing to go the extra mile to achieve what he wants, I’d use him as ya bench mark, you’ll get a wealth of information from this site there are some extremely clever people on here and good luck mate
I'm in no rush what so ever, here to enjoy the ride. I've got nearly 40 working years ahead of me so I'm in no rush lol. Theres no substitution for experience, that why I'm here. Here to pick your brains dry. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Lester1987! That's perfect advice!! And what you've done is exactly what I want to do. It's great to have someone lay it all out for me like that. What course are you currently on if you dont mind me asking? Im thinking of doing lvl 2 2365 (distance learning) with training electrical to start with. The costs is just shy of £2000. I dont like the idea of these fast track courses, theres no way I'll be able to take everything in in 18 days or so. I want to get the material/materials and like you, do things over and over until I feel comfortable enough and know its sunk in good and proper before I move on. One concern I do have with studying solo prior to enrolling on a course is the order in which a learn things. I imagine theres a logical order. Of course H&S comes first lol but when you get into the nity grity stuff there much be a logical way of learning. Have you managed to get any work experience? If I get a CSCS card are many contractors likely to use me as a free weekend mate/labourer do you think? Or do I really at least a qual first.

Again, great reply mate I appreciate it.
[automerge]1584137617[/automerge]

I'm in no rush what so ever, here to enjoy the ride. I've got nearly 40 working years ahead of me so I'm in no rush lol. Theres no substitution for experience, that why I'm here. Here to pick your brains dry. :)

I'm nearing 75% way through City and Guilds 2365 Level 2 Electrical Installation - 1 year course through local tech college. There are 2 textbooks that go with the course; The City & Guilds Textbook: Book 1 Electrical Installations for the Level 3 Apprenticeship (5357), Level 2 Technical Certificate (8202) & Level 2 Diploma (2365) (City & Guilds Textbooks) View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1510432248/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rjfBEb6PZFDF6

The City & Guilds Textbook:Book 2 Electrical Installations for the Level 3 Apprenticeship (5357), Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma (8202) & Level 3 Diploma (2365) View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1510432256/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8gfBEbDR7YQF8

Get both as it'll do Level 2, 3 and if you to go for it the electrotechnical apprenticeship (5357).

Will post more in the morning

Hi, my name is Christian, im 30 years old and i have an over whelming urge to re train as an Electrician. Currently working in Payroll and desperate to make that move. My current situation is - I cant yet afford a college course and haven't decided on which way to go. There are a lot of courses out there. What i do want to do is get cracking on with the theory! I want to start studying so that when i do make that leap, i have the theoretical knowledge ill need to succeed. Thats where you come in! I hope.

If you have any material i can purchase to help get me started please let me know! If you've completed any college courses and have some books you no longer use, id love to make you an offer! The C&G 2365 books to buy on Amazon are very expensive so i'd love to find someone who has these lying around collecting dust.

Im talking anything and everything! I want to soak in every bit of info i can.

If you have anything or know anyone who does please send them my way! :)
Hi, I have some books in this forum under "book sale" not sure if any cover the topics you are interested in, but if any are then please get in touch, the prices shown are negotiable good luck.

Reply to Books. I need books. Can I buy your books? in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net