Discuss 'Booster' switch for ovens/hobs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ianmjacob

I want a timer switch, to act like a booster switch for an immersion heater, but to control the power to ovens/hobs in the kitchen of shared accommodation. I don't want a daily timer, nor a plug in type, but rather a digital switch/button that would turn the power 'on' to the hob etc for a period of time (say 2 hours). I want this to prevent fire risk, and large bills, if appliances are left on. I guess it would need to be 45amp to cope. Does anyone know how this can be done, or a product that can be retrofitted?

Maybe think of fitting your own timer and contactor at the supply end of the relevant circuits. If you can get a programmable timer that you can set a 2hr override when a switch is pushed. Shouldn't be too hard to source the correct parts.

Do you know if any have a timer function? I want the default position to be 'power off' and the user to choose to turn the power on for specified period, and not have to switch it off themselves.

You can make up your own units within an enclosure which will be fit for purpose and be able to attach onto a CU. if you don't know what you're doing with contractors and programmable switching my advice would don't. Get someone in who knows what they're doing. This is essentially no different than when you press a switch so lights come on for a period of time then knock back off. Only you going to have to calculate the correct sizing of contactor etc.

I am not an electrician, it is for use in purpose built student accommodation. I definitely will NOT be doing it myself. I really wanted to know if there was anything on the market, or if someone has done this before. When it is done it will comply with all regs and satisfy insurance etc and be done by a professional.

It will be a retrofit so think I am really looking for something off the shelf??

I also suspect there could be a demand for this across this market.

Can't think of an off the shelf product but as said by another, its easy to assemble the two components into a small enclosure. You could put it on the shelf then & pretend!

Maybe someone else knows of one.

The parts you would need wouldn't be cheap and I suspect there isn't anything ready made unless someboody here knows differently!

Does it have to be flush mount?
I don't think it's too difficult with a surface mount enclosure containing a timer and contactor. If your existing cooker switch is above the worksurface then you could replace it with the enclosure. The trick would then be to mount the switch on the lid of the enclosure.
If the cooker switch is buried in a cupboard then you have to chase the walls and mount the switch remote from the enclosure to make the switch easily accessible (you don't want them going looking for the enclosure).

Laurie

Ahhhhh - but you still need the existing cooker switch because you still need it's "emergency switch" function (you still have to be able to switch the cooker off when you want rather than wait for the timer).

Laurie

Reply to 'Booster' switch for ovens/hobs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net