Discuss Borrowed Neutral - Solutions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Scenario -
Installation of new split load board, BN found in usual place (stair/landing light). BN found in testing done before commencing work not after ;-)

What's the general consensus if the customer does not want to pay for the added work that would be required to rectify the fault?

Do people just walk away from the job, saying why?

Or do people do the only other solution available without running a new neutral conductor, put both circuits on one side of the board, and on the same MCB, then document the deviations on the cert?

I'm thinking the 2 circuits on the same MCB is the biggest sin rather than the fact you've not split the lighting circuits.

I guess I just wondered how many people would rather turn down work and walk away than do the 2nd option.

Cheers

Good question.
Walking away is all very good, but by putting both into the same mcb is going to make the installation safer than how you found it.

If you do the later you are then liable, so do a warning notice and stick it to the consumer unit.

I have to admit I am a bit torn, but I think I would put both on one mcb, purely to protect the next sparky on site.

Yes I would still change the consumer unit having to double up the previously separated lighting circuit. It's from far the best solution but the choice is with the consumer having being well informed of the consequences. Note on the cert would suffice for me.

if they're both in the same MCB, THEN IT'S NOW 1 CIRCUIT.

Err no ...... its 1 circuit when in the same MCB, irrespective of how many cables in the MCB ...

Yes, sorry I do understand. I guess I'm always reading that you should never double up circuits in an MCB, but forgot that the BYB considers everything protected by a single OCPD as being one circuit. My bad :innocent:

How big a job is it to run a second neutral? The guys paying good money for a board change, he might can stretch to a little more work.
Its the landing light and the downstairs sharing? Move that one light onto downstairs circuit leaving the bedrooms on the second circuit?

If theres no chance of a solution, then both circuits combined in to one MCB

Scenario -
Installation of new split load board, BN found in usual place (stair/landing light). BN found in testing done before commencing work not after ;-)

What's the general consensus if the customer does not want to pay for the added work that would be required to rectify the fault?

Do people just walk away from the job, saying why?

Or do people do the only other solution available without running a new neutral conductor, put both circuits on one side of the board, and on the same MCB, then document the deviations on the cert?

I'm thinking the 2 circuits on the same MCB is the biggest sin rather than the fact you've not split the lighting circuits.

I guess I just wondered how many people would rather turn down work and walk away than do the 2nd option.

Cheers
Why is it a sin ? Two conductors for a stair and landing light circuit in your scenario is ok if you don't have any more slots for MCBs, etc. You will also solve the BN issue.

Only once have i been asked to do the remedial work, in part because they were getting plasterer's in so the making good wasnt an issue.
Would normally put both on the same mcb/rcbo and include a sticker on the cu and note in the EIC.
On another job, I took out/disconnected the parts of circuit with the borrowed neutral and replaced with the MK echo wireless switching kit. looked quite nice and matched other mk accessories. the wireless receiver is on permanent live and the wireless switch can go anywhere to activate it.

On another job, I took out/disconnected the parts of circuit with the borrowed neutral and replaced with the MK echo wireless switching kit. looked quite nice and matched other mk accessories. the wireless receiver is on permanent live and the wireless switch can go anywhere to activate it.[/QUOTE]

You've lost me a bit with that one. A wireless neutral?

by putting al lights onto 1 MCB ( single circuit) , all it contravenes regs. wise is the division of circuits reg. ( can't be arsed looking it up ), but it's a safe solution, grandma is not going to fall down the stairs, your wife is not going for a divorce, the dog has not contracted aids.

Reply to Borrowed Neutral - Solutions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock