Discuss Boss says no test cert required in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rantoftheday

We went to install an extra light in a bathroom today off of the upstair lighting circuit and at the end of the job i said to my boss we will need a minor works cert and he says we don't really need one cos its a private job?????????

We went to install an extra light in a bathroom today off of the upstair lighting circuit and at the end of the job i said to my boss we will need a minor works cert and he says we don't really need one cos its a private job?????????

Cobblers!

Would definitely complete a MEIW cert, particularly as it's in a special location.

Cash in hand job i presume, by rights it should have a minor works however cash in hand jobs are what they are he wont want to leave a paper trail as taxman can find out hes been fiddling

Sorry mate but your boss is wrong. Any amendment to an existing installation has to be certified. Any works carried out in a special location have to be covered by an installation cert, ie a minor works cert is not appropriate.
I know you're on here as apprentice spark but don't forget it's the spark who carries out the work who is responsible so if that was you you need to make sure your butt is covered.

As above. Absolute tosh!

You were right to say it needed a Minor Works Certificate but I'm afraid this thing goes on all the time. It doesn't help when you are still learning your trade and trying to do things correctly only to see this sort of thing going on from the very person you're supposed to be learning from!

I think he may be right about the special locations

Quick scan of google

Building Regulations Part P
From 1 January 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations will be controlled under the Building Regulations.

The new Part P will apply mainly to dwelling houses and flats including gardens and outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.

Small jobs such as provision of a socket-outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to Building Control (although there will be some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms).*
All work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling, or electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms or in 'special locations' (see table) will need to be either notified to Building Control with a building regulation application or carried out by a competent person who is registered with a Part P Self-Certification Scheme.******

Any works carried out in a special location have to be covered by an installation cert, ie a minor works cert is not appropriate.
QUOTE]

Thats a rather bold statement, do you have any supporting evidence to accompany it???
No supporting evidence to accompany that only an on the spot interpretation of the regs but pPlease see my second post. Perhaps my first was an overreaction/underthinking but if I'd overdone it my butt would still have been covered.

Lol ask him if he dose'nt have to tax his car; thats private too:angel_smile:

Yeah I agree, if it was a replacement light OK but an extra light, yes, needs an MEIWC. Would not need an EIC.
As it is private this does bring the Part P into it and really anything requiring Part P notification must have some sort of installation certificate.
It would only take a few minutes to test.
Bosses huh, glad I am self employed!

Reply to Boss says no test cert required in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net