Discuss both rcds trip on a dual rcd in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piz

Hello Guys
Can you help me please I have just changed cu old wylex to dual rcd board when I test the rcd trip times on one circuit both rcds trip at 123 x1 and 40 x 5 this is a ring main circuit 32amp
I have left cu off till morning be safe prob be ok when I do rest of checks but scratching my heasd at the mo

Hello Guys
Can you help me please I have just changed cu old wylex to dual rcd board when I test the rcd trip times on one circuit both rcds trip at 123 x1 and 40 x 5 this is a ring main circuit 32amp
I have left cu off till morning be safe prob be ok when I do rest of checks but scratching my heasd at the mo

Have you got neutral bars split correctly at cu 1 from each RCD?

You could also possibly have a borrowed neutral possibly on stair lighting circuit.

Yeah netural bars split ok and ring main circuit at fault

Have you tried RCD test on another circuit apart from the ring to see if only 1 trips?

Easiest test is run continuity between all the circuits, i.e take neutral from circuit A and test against circuit B and so on, time consuming but should reveal that you have shared phase/neutral....then you need to find where it is.

Where I stated circuit A and B. A is from a circuit on RCD1, B is from a circuit on RCD2 side

Easiest test is run continuity between all the circuits, i.e take neutral from circuit A and test against circuit B and so on, time consuming but should reveal that you have shared phase/neutral....then you need to find where it is.

Where I stated circuit A and B. A is from a circuit on RCD1, B is from a circuit on RCD2 side

Hi there,
Came across this and thought this might help me.So from CU connect to neutral circuit A with wander lead and then go round whole house and see if its common against A and B.Repeat and do with phase.
Understanding correctly ?
To help find fault could you disconnect all fasia sockets and go from one to another ? so you could identify the route of the ring .Connect neutral and phase together with socket removed and just do a continuity at next suspected socket on one of the cable in the box ,and so on and so on.This will then give a clearer idea as to where the route might have become broken or bridged and what floorboard to remove.
Fault finding is the challenge

Cheers

No, just IR test between a circuit N on RCD A across to a circuit N from RCD B.

You could also blanket test to start with between the 2 N bars to see if it is a borrowed N.

It should read clear.

Reply to both rcds trip on a dual rcd in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net