Discuss Bpec or city and guilds, which is best?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and I'm just about to set off on doing an intensive course with a training academy. I'm 37, just been made redundant and I've decided to go in a new direction after working in the automotive industry for 15 years. I know there are a lot of you that are against intensive training academies, but I'm a little old for an apprentiship and feel gaining the qualifications and then gaining some practical on the job experience is the way to move forward. My question is this - after looking around at the myriad of qualifications, which is better for the electrical sector, city and guilds or bpec qualifications? And what are the differences?

All advice is greatly received, many thanks

All of the electricians I know have all gone through City and Guilds. I've never heard of bpec, there was something I did when I first stated my apprenticeship called btec....not sure if it's similar to bpec, but was told the btec isn't worth the paper it's written on. City and Guilds is long established, so personally I would go with them.

Yeah I believe the governing body is eal for the bpec qualification, btec has come on really well these days especially in the engineering sector, so maybe bpec will be something recognised in the future?? Who knows. Thanks for your insight guys

Yeah I believe the governing body is eal for the bpec qualification, btec has come on really well these days especially in the engineering sector, so maybe bpec will be something recognised in the future?? Who knows. Thanks for your insight guys
What is it your wanting to do at the end of the training?
We may be able to give you an idea on what courses to go for

I don't particularly want to get into house bashing (domestic installation), I'd like to become a fully qualified electrician ideally, get into inspection and testing, maybe even design and verification ultimately.

I don't particularly want to get into house bashing (domestic installation), I'd like to become a fully qualified electrician ideally, get into inspection and testing, maybe even design and verification ultimately.
intensive courses if you have a background and good skills in the sector can work, its no route for those new to the trade. its more for those formalising experience and skills. in terms of your end goal then you need to be looking at the c and g 2365 courses and go from there to the 2391 which has made a comeback and replaced the 2394/95 courses in inspecting and testing.

Although it's not glamorous, house bashing is also part of the job. I had 3 years of it when I first started. I learned how to be part of a team, how to work efficiently and also how to wire a house. After that I ended up on many commercial jobs and learnt other installation methods. I now mostly do EICRs, and I think the knowledge learnt from installing gave me a better understanding when trying to fathom out a complex commercial building in order to test it and find faults.

Where would you recommend I start then for training, as I would be new to the trade then Gavin? Bearing in mind my age and the fact that I'm a father to 3 kids who still live at home! Lol so money is a big factor.

Are you looking to work for a company and do night classes? Some of the lads at our place have done that. All I can suggest is try and learn as much as you can, obviously house bashing has a limit on what you learn, the more variety the better. I did the testing and inspecting 2394 / 95 about a year ago and they were quite intense and they expected you to have a good background in electrical knowledge (as stated by Gavin) but they were interesting and well worth having.

I've been working as an engineering craftsman (technician level) leading a team of upto 20 guys for some time so I'm no stranger to team working, leading, quality, using tools and reading from technical drawings (although electrical drawings are obviously different) but working for a company would be ideal, gaining a qualification in my own time. But I feel I would struggle to get employment without experience and or qualifications, hence why ive considered taking the intensive courses route.

So your kind of nearly there (by that I mean you weren't say a chef but now want to be an electrician) so you have some good skills to start off.
The lads that trained at our place were employed as electricians mates or labourers, and did the college work on a night. Try asking some local electrical contractors if they are looking for mates / labourers.

If I remember rightly the lads at our place were on about £10 -£11 an hour.

Whether you go down the domestic installer route or the more formal route of the 2365 courses is upto you.
Either way as a minimum all the electricians mates at my last firm i worked at before going out on my own had their 17th edition and the city and guilds 2392 testing, some also had the 2394 and 2395 depending on if they kissed the bosses backside to get it paid for. they were earning depending on age and experience between 80 and 120 per day as a minimum £10 per hour. but bear in mind some of these 'mates' were near on fully qualified, whilst not having the 2365 , am2 or nvq they had lots of experience and skills. often putting the fresh faced 'qualified' lads to shame. some of them you could trust to supervise and complete the full job and knew you would not need to correct things.

If you get your 17th edition - its multi choice find the answer in the book exam.
and do a 2392 testing then approach companies about working as a mate/semi skilled labourer you would be more likely to get some where. you could then enrol on night classes to do the 2365 courses or 2391.
I started out like this when i left the forces, i did the 17th edition as a freebie funded by the resettlement schemes and they also paid for my 2365 L2, i got work through friends working with a outfit doing domestic rewire contracts for council houses and light commercial refurbs in cafes, pubs etc. they then paid for my other qualifications and level 3 2365 and 2394 testing.

well as long it's a 5 hour day, then that's not bad! It's bit on the low side. A problem some of the lads had once they were qualified was getting a pay rise, the boss said your jobs here but at your current rate.....so needless to say they went elsewhere.
I appreciate all the advice kev, apologies for the numerous questions. It's nice to talk to someone who has some experience in the industry
no problem:)

Reply to Bpec or city and guilds, which is best?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock