Discuss brake light issues, jeep compass. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

amarok88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am having a nightmare as my brake lights have just packed up and I am due to drive to france on Xmas day.

Ok,
Jeep compass 2007 CRD, UK
both brake lights are out:
3rd light works fine (window brake light)
bulbs are fine as I have tried new bulbs and still dont work
fuse is fine, I have fitted a new one and still doesnt work
all other lights work fine

tail lights and brake lights shar same bulb (double fillament) and tail lights are fine
I an getting 12v power to the fuse but no power to either back brake light.

It cant be the fuse, it cant be the bulbs as both are new. It cant be the switch as 3rd light works and it uses the same switch.

what can it be?

cant see how it can be a ground as I believe both light units use their own ground therefore likely hood of both failing is very low.

checked all fuses that I know of and all are fine. I am completely stuck??

not yet, only seen them today. Guessing my only chance is to catch one tomorrow as then everyone will be off for xmas.

anyone know of a good one near me in Dronfield (inbetween chesterfield and sheffield)

this is something a local auto spark should be able to fix i 1/2 hour. i would suspect a poor connection on the edge connector to the pcb the light cluster fits on.

might be a good educational experience. try driving without using the brakes every 100 yards. ease off the loud pedal when you see red lights instead of ploughing along at full bore until you have to slam on the brakes. ( that's how her indoors drives, and it does my head in.)

edit: you'll probably save on fuel as well as needing brake pads every year.

Hang on, we've not got to my usual (auto) electrician is on holliday.

Ever get the bathroom light fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hand on we've not got to my usual (auto) electrician is on holliday.

Ever get the bathroom light fixed?

yeah I got it fixed. that was my House electrician. I thought they were different to car electricians so I havent even asked him. when I am working on cars he never seems to have a clue so I presumed auto electrician were mainly cars and sparky was houses etc. or is that really naive

"house electricians are different to car electricians..............." so you ask installation electricians about a car electrics? doh!

I appologise I thought this was an auto electrician forum. it was the top one in google when I searched auto-electrician forum.

appologies. I have booked an auto sparky to come look tomorrow, but his time is short so I will try and mechanic forum.

sorry. I dont get the pink handcuff remark but if its a mick taking thing i guess I left myself open.

cheers for the fast replies anyhow.

the bathroom one by the way i fixed it and it seemed ok, but as you said seeming ok is not always right I got my sparky to check when he got back and all was good.

thanks again.

ill be back when I need some help hanging a door or something :p :D

We don't do carpentry mate... Just electrics and abusing plumbers...

and builders, wood butchers, kitchen fitters, conservatory con merchants, plasterers, plumbers ( second mention coz. they're the worst)

i didn't mention southerners for fear of reprisals from the ku klux klan.

Reply to brake light issues, jeep compass. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net