Discuss Brake problem on combi drill in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Eddiesparks

Now i always thought a combi drill could be used for wood and masonry. I have a mains sds for chasing and big masonry work but Time and time again i use my combi to drill 6mm and 7mm holes for wallplugs. I often question why you would need an 18/24v sds when combi can do the same job. 36v ones i understand the reason why. They are nearly as good for heavier work as mains.

Anyway, am i wrong to use my combi for masonry drilling?! The reason i ask is that on my last three combi drills the brake has stopped working after 6 months. What am I doing wrong?! Will a brushless (eg milwaukee fuel) make any difference?!

What are thoughts on 18v sds drills? Are they waste of time for wallplug drilling or invaluable?!

I use milwaukee stuff, previously dewalt. I'd rather this thread wasnt about brands though if you please...!

got a 18v dewalt combi and its pretty bad for drilling masonry unless its soft tbh. tried a friends 18v makita sds and wasnt impressed with the power at all really
i have a 24v bosch sds (gbh24vs) and that is perfect for smaller and bigger holes with decent power.

without the brands my experiance with 18v sds's is not good but 24 seems fine for me.

Sorry, meant to say my milwaukee combi is great for masonry, i'm just not sure if this is causing brake failure!!

got a 18v dewalt combi and its pretty bad for drilling masonry unless its soft tbh. tried a friends 18v makita sds and wasnt impressed with the power at all really
i have a 24v bosch sds (gbh24vs) and that is perfect for smaller and bigger holes with decent power.

without the brands my experiance with 18v sds's is not good but 24 seems fine for me.

Which makita?

Ive got one and its better than my mates 18v dewalt.

the bosch 36v are bulletproof but I dont see the need to use one when my 18v will quite happily do everything else.

I find its the drill bits that make the biggest difference

Which milwaukee combi are you using ?
Are you returning these drills under warranty ?

Well i'm using the 18v li-ion combi (not brushless) cpd18 i think.

First one to go was dewalt nicad but didnt bother doing warranty it was awful i was glad to buy the milwaukee. The first milwaukee got nicked after it had gone wrong. The second i'm on now. Its actually 11 months old. I'll call them about replacement tomorrow but i was wondering what the hell am i doing wrong that the brakes go wrong on all of them?!?!

This is the set i have. angliatoolcentre.co.uk/milwaukee-hd18pp2a-18v-twin-kit-pid23441.html?gclid=COf4-KWsqb0CFWjKtAodQl0AiA

Impact driver is fine but doesnt get nearly as much use

Couldn't tell you what you are doing wrong. I have the smaller Milwaukee combi and find it fine. That said, I only use it for plug holes like yourself. The HD18 should be more than fine for what you use it for.
Only advice I can give is to not push any combi too hard when drilling masonry, let the drill do all the work. Get it replaced and treat it with love.

Cheers Andy. I think that may be the case. Investing in good bits is really important like someone said earlier..

Reply to Brake problem on combi drill in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock