Discuss Branching 3 phase 380 to single phase in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ray1972

I have a question regarding the distribution of single phase 220 VAC branched directly from a 380 VAC 3 phase supply. I have done some research on the web, however have not been able to find a formula that exactly explains my situation, at least not clearly enough to make a solid decision.

I am not experience in the math behind branching 3 phase to single phase, especially when it comes to loads. I asked for 2 separate single phase supplies. One 62 amp and one 32 amp, which will be running 2 separate control systems.

It seems that I have been provided a single 62 amp 3 phase supply, where I have been instructed to tap off the 3 phase to acquire my 2 separate single phase lines. My first concern is that the 3 phase supply will be very unbalanced, pulling 60 amps off one leg and 30 off another.

Just to start, let's say I was balanced across all three branches. Would this be the proper formula to calculate the per line amperage at 220 single phase per leg?

380*1.73*60/3/220

The above formula brings me back to 60 amps per leg, however from what I have seen, adding amps per leg is not typically acceptable.

If you’re wanting 63A on one phase and 32 on the other you will have 54A flowing in the neutral. This is given by In = √((L1²+ L2²+ L3²)-((L1*L2)+(L1*L3)+(L2*L3)))

Reply to Branching 3 phase 380 to single phase in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

hi guys / girls , any advice would be appreciated, So the situation is a domestic property has a 3 phase supply , from the service head we have 3...
Replies
Views
I have a single phase stainless steel pasteuriser that has two control boxes attached to it. One box houses the control for the electronics and...
Replies
Views
Absolutely losing my brain here guys What I would like to be able to do is power our 3 phase motor on a single phase supply. Thought I had it...
Replies
Views
Hello, Looking for some advice following a botched 3 phase upgrade today. Some background: Commercial unit originally fitted out (4 years ago)...
Replies
Views
I have been asked if I can wire a motor for a car lifter in a domestic garage, however the motor is 3 phase and only single phase is available in...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock