Discuss Branching Out into AV? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Any of you guys ever thought about branching out into the dark art of AV?

Reason I ask is that I'm from an Electrical background with a rather large Electrical contractor (Whom shall remain nameless) and some 16 years ago I got into AV by pure accident installing light fittings in theatres and studios.

Since then I've pretty much been solid with AV work since.

Reason I ask is that I work in the Higher Education sector and when Universities break armies descend to upgrade all the AV.

Problem is that there just isn't enough skilled labour around to complete the work.

So my question is as Sparks would any off you see doing AV work as an option or a distraction?

I've gonna do out my garage as a cinema room eventually; too late in life to branch out now. But some a lot of people prepared to pay for the service.

I would see it as "added value" to your skill set and to be honest if you have high value customers/clients then its a skill set work having.

You can have a basic AV setup at one or then you can get the high end systems, cinema room, layered floor, multiple speakers 4K projector etc etc etc as well as a multi room audio system also through in powered curtains/blinds and a home climate system.

A lot of these systems end up have a networked backbone, all interesting stuff to be honest.

I find with a lot of the newer technology items in our area of expertise, that you need to be doing them fairly regularly, to at least stay somewhat switched on and remain reasonably fast at installing, otherwise it’s not worthwhile.

Ive dabbled but found that if not up to date, keeping abreast of the latest technology you easily get left behind!
Certainly worth knowing about and we work 'hand in hand' with an AV company whereby we do the install first fix, the AV cabling and also the power and lighting cabling (as there normally is some) second fix and they do the hardware/programming etc. Works well.

Reply to Branching Out into AV? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock