Discuss Breaker keeps Tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

united4ever

My Electricity breaker keeps tripping about 8 times a day:mad: It also happens in the middle of the night when we are sleeping, happens when we are out so times when we are not using electricity. Usually just a case of flicking up the breaker switch however this morning the switch wouldn't stay up (instantly switched down to off position) so for about 2 hours we had no electricity. Unplugged everything and kept trying to turn it on. After about 2 hours it stayed on though there was no obvious reason why.:confused:

Had a mate look at it who is a retired sparky - he tried isolating it and read the currents of the wires going into the breaker which were normal he said. Couldn't really solve it but thought it might be the breaker switch itself. Said to keep an eye on it and he could order a replacement switch.

Anyway, any experts got an idea what could be causing this? Also, if I want to get a professional in to sort it how does it work - do they come and give a quote to solve the problem no matter how long it takes or do they agree to work on it and charge by the hour until it's done. I'd like to know how much it will cost upfront and want it sorting once and for all.....but the guy who came round today spent an hour trying to isolate the problem and I can imagine a lot of it is elimination and head scratching - don't want to pay hundreds and then the electrician fob me off with some non solution.

I live in a 2 bed new build flat (4 years old). We don't use excessive amounts of electricity.

Thanks in advance

Is it a MCB or RCD (or RCBO) that trips?
If you don't know the difference, post a pic of it :)

How an investigation will be charged is really between you and the sparkie. I'd charge an hourly rate as it is very hard to say up front how long it will take and I don't like working for free. ;)

The thing about an intermittent fault is that it isnt always there, so no matter how much testing you do you wont find it if it isnt there. The best thing you could do is wait until the breaker wont reset meaning the fault is still there. Does it trip at certain times i.e when the water heater is on?

What type of breaker 6-10-16-20-32-40Amps or the main RCD breaker ? plus is it lights.power, ? a picture would be nice and as for not wanting to spend 100s on an electrician well all the jobs like this i go to is around £50-£70

Yes we need to know the type of CU set up, you can pull all the plugs you want but if you have a Neutral fault you will need to start pulling those out of the CU..NOT a job for a DIYER,,Get a Pro in

Absolutely impossible to diagnose this on a forum. I'm afraid you will need a decent electrician - and yes he will likely want to be paid. That's because it's his job.

Have professional registered spark do a EICR report.

He will then be able to tell you whats wrong.

From what you say I assume it an RCD thats tripping.

He will then need to trace/rectify the circuit with the earth fault, which could take time.

The line "I don’t want to spend" seals it for me!

Expert advice costs money but probably not as much as you think!

Stick with you’re mate, he’ll be cheap, useless but cheap.

Siemens RCCB breaker, Also says next to the switch 80amps and has written 5SM13 317-0. The lights still work when it trips. Will post a picture tomorrow.

The line "I don’t want to spend" seals it for me!

Expert advice costs money but probably not as much as you think!

Stick with you’re mate, he’ll be cheap, useless but cheap.

HANG ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the guy who had a look BOB,DAVE,JIM FROM THE PUB BIG LOL:19:

Get an electrician in.
I would say From the info given should be traceable to a individual circuit within minutes. Obviously from there it could take a bit longer. Pictures would be good :)

This type of fault could take 10 minutes to find or up to several hours and still not be conclusive.

What may help the diagnosis is a record of what you are/were doing when the fault occurs.

Where in the UK are you?

What? This is just a fault that with the correct test equipment should be relatively simple to find.

[/COLOR]
What if the EICR doesn't pick up the fault?

If your test results for the fixed installation are within spec, then there is no possible reason that a healthy RCd will trip.
Unless there is an obvious wiring fault in the CU.

Reply to Breaker keeps Tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net