Discuss Breaking Main Fuse Seal.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been risen plenty of times.

I'm a qualified electrician and I am going to replace a consumer unit for a relative. I am not registered with NICEIC or NAPIT so will be getting it tested by the council.

Can anyone explain the procedure for removing the main fuse as it is sealed?

I know it will never be checked but would just like to know what everyone does. It's absolutely crazy that a qualified electrician is meant to call western power to remove the seal or replace the seal, especially if they have a business to run!!

Thanks in advance.

Get western power to put a dp isolator after the meter unless the seals accidently have fallen off the cutout

Last edited by a moderator:
Although it is an easy process to remove it, incorrect removal can be either fatal due to the high voltage etc, or end up with a broken fuse or carrier and then you will need to pay them to come and fix it whilst trying to explain to them why you removed it in the first place. This is why they wired with a security seal as to attempt to prevent unauthorised removal. If you remove the fuse, you are in breach of your contract with the supply company and have commited a criminal act.

Although its straight forward enuogh, unless it comes out in one go you are likely to run into problems. I will not touch the main fuse as would rather not have the hassle. If you are going to do it, my advise would that, you shouldnt, but if you do, ensure theres NO LOAD, so switch the consumer unit off, then take firm hold of it and pull it out in one smooth but swift movement. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Personally if i ever had to for whatever reason have to remove one, I would take all measures needed to prevent killing myself, so would ensure I was wearing insulated shoes, appropriate rubber gloves, and some form of mask, then hope for the best. I know this is more than likely over kill, but id rather not do it, just incase it breaks it, as you will not be able to fix it without third party help.

Oh and when you do put it back in, try and get the pins to connect at the same time, and push it in firmly in one go, dont mess about with it.

Best of luck!

Its also highly unlikely that anything will ever come of it, if you do pull it out and put it back as most people do, but its more the fact that it might break or not come out nicely when you do that puts me off. Oh and dont forget to put a protective thing in the slot to prevent accidentle contact. Not sure where you buy the red thing from though.

and dont forget to put a protective thing in the slot to prevent accidentle contact. Not sure where you buy the red thing from though.

Please don't give out advice when you have absolutely no idea what your talking about, Electricity is very serious you know, will your insurance cover the OP if he is killed by putting a protective thingy in the red thingy????

To many times, try using the search facility!

I'm a qualified electrician and I am going to replace a consumer unit for a relative. I am not registered with NICEIC or NAPIT so will be getting it tested by the council.
Apprenticed or 5 week course?

No, it would be breaking the law.

I know it will never be checked but would just like to know what everyone does. It's absolutely crazy that a qualified electrician is meant to call western power to remove the seal or replace the seal, especially if they have a business to run!!
Everyone abides by the law

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for asking. Do you think people are so stupid as to publicly advocate breaking the law?

My advice is not to remove it, but if you read I have said what I feel appropriate. I am the only one who has made a constructive comment and thats helpful.

My advice is not to remove it, but if you read I have said what I feel appropriate. I am the only one who has made a constructive comment and thats helpful.

Ducttape.jpg

Although it is an easy process to remove it, incorrect removal can be either fatal due to the high voltage etc, or end up with a broken fuse or carrier and then you will need to pay them to come and fix it whilst trying to explain to them why you removed it in the first place. This is why they wired with a security seal as to attempt to prevent unauthorised removal. If you remove the fuse, you are in breach of your contract with the supply company and have commited a criminal act.

Although its straight forward enuogh, unless it comes out in one go you are likely to run into problems. I will not touch the main fuse as would rather not have the hassle. If you are going to do it, my advise would that, you shouldnt, but if you do, ensure theres NO LOAD, so switch the consumer unit off, then take firm hold of it and pull it out in one smooth but swift movement. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Personally if i ever had to for whatever reason have to remove one, I would take all measures needed to prevent killing myself, so would ensure I was wearing insulated shoes, appropriate rubber gloves, and some form of mask, then hope for the best. I know this is more than likely over kill, but id rather not do it, just incase it breaks it, as you will not be able to fix it without third party help.

Oh and when you do put it back in, try and get the pins to connect at the same time, and push it in firmly in one go, dont mess about with it.

Best of luck!
hobbyists mistake no.1
told you all it would come..lol...
look at what defines `high voltage` will you before posting!!..lol..

Its also highly unlikely that anything will ever come of it, if you do pull it out and put it back as most people do, but its more the fact that it might break or not come out nicely when you do that puts me off. Oh and dont forget to put a protective thing in the slot to prevent accidentle contact. Not sure where you buy the red thing from though.

From the same shop you bought your red thong from ???

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

As you intend to get building control involved and they will send someone to inspect your works, I strongly recommend you be very careful how far you go in regard to this situation, regardless of your experience, if someone comes to look at your work you may get into trouble if you are reported for installing new tails to the meter, beware in this case IMO.

Reply to Breaking Main Fuse Seal.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net