Discuss Britain Leave the European Union (Please be polite with other people's views) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’m not sure what it is exactly Brexiteers hope to achieve?
There’s some talk about us regaining our sovereignty.
Something about stopping immigration.
Something else about having trade deals outside of the EU.

Regaining our sovereignty sounds all well and good, but really what does it mean?
At present, the EU (which we do have a say in) introduces laws and regulations, which our government then chooses whether to adopt.
Some we adopt, some we don’t.

As for immigration, the Tories won’t stop it, they need the immigrants to keep wages low.
Labour won’t stop it on moral grounds.

As for trade deals, it seems so far the only country that wants to trade with us, is the USA. All we have to do is lower our food health and hygiene standards (so we won’t be able to trade with the EU) and stop the cap we have on the cost of pharmaceuticals (so much for sovereignty).

Sovereignty will mean that WE get to instruct OUR politicians on the direction the country goes in, like voting for the Green party if you want to have better controls on pollution in this country, at the moment 27 commissioners decide what policy will go before the EU parliament the same commissioners that we have absolutely no way to influence as they are unelected and there for totally unaccountable to any voter in this country. To take back control over our politicians will mean WE take back sovereignty and have a chance to change the way things are done in our country.

The government only have choices on some of the EU laws not all, and if they dont follow EU laws then they get taken to the EU court just like Poland and Austria are at the moment.

I think you have the Tories & Labour the wrong way round, Labour has stopped representing the hard working man many years ago, just look at their current leader never ever done a days work in his life, a total career politician and a pretty bad one at that, Labour take power and spend all the money put up taxes sell all the gold reserves and bankrupt the country, the Tories get in to power put all the ---- right the Labour gov buggered up and get painted as the bad guys, happens every bloody time I personally would love a change in the way politics works in this country, we can not keep going round on the Labour & Torie merry go round of overspending and cuts to services to pay for it.
I think you will find many countries want to do trade deals with us, not just the yanks.

Sovereignty will mean that WE get to instruct OUR politicians on the direction the country goes in, like voting for the Green party if you want to have better controls on pollution in this country, at the moment 27 commissioners decide what policy will go before the EU parliament the same commissioners that we have absolutely no way to influence as they are unelected and there for totally unaccountable to any voter in this country. To take back control over our politicians will mean WE take back sovereignty and have a chance to change the way things are done in our country.

The government only have choices on some of the EU laws not all, and if they dont follow EU laws then they get taken to the EU court just like Poland and Austria are at the moment.

I think you have the Tories & Labour the wrong way round, Labour has stopped representing the hard working man many years ago, just look at their current leader never ever done a days work in his life, a total career politician and a pretty bad one at that, Labour take power and spend all the money put up taxes sell all the gold reserves and bankrupt the country, the Tories get in to power put all the **** right the Labour gov buggered up and get painted as the bad guys, happens every bloody time I personally would love a change in the way politics works in this country, we can not keep going round on the Labour & Torie merry go round of overspending and cuts to services to pay for it.
I think you will find many countries want to do trade deals with us, not just the yanks.
Not sure whether this is sarcasm or not?
For over 40 years our elected politicians have been signing away our sovereignty.
It was Maggie Thatcher who signed the free movement treaty in 1984. In the same year she privatised a lot of our national industries allowing foreign investors and companies to buy in and take over.
Seems that every Government since has been signing more and more of our sovereignty away.

You say the government only has choices on some of the laws.
We’ll get taken to court if we don’t enact some of them.
We’ve been paying a fine every year to the court of human rights for decades regarding the illegal reading and censoring of prisoner’s mail.
I don’t see that being taken to court for not enacting an EU law is a particular problem.
We’ve not been forced to join the Euro, we’ve not been forced to change from pints to litres, we’ve not been forced to adopt the working time directive, just what are these laws that we’ll be taken to court for?

I don’t think I have the Tories and Labour confused at all.
Though I do accept that there seems to be little to choose between them.
Whilst Labour do appear to no longer represent the hard working man, the Tories never have and never will.

As for Corbyn being a career politician, there’s not much I can do about that. Seems 99% of politicians are career politicians now.
I can’t actually think of any Labour politician that I would want as Prime Minister. Perhaps Dennis Skinner, Joe Ashton or Jess Phillips.

As for Labour spending all the money, that’s what money is for.
To my mind, it’s much better to spend the money on necessary things rather than give it away to people who have more than enough already.

Give me strength!

No one knows how we will do outside the EU. What we do know is that employment figures are currently very very strong

UK employment at highest since 1971 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47622415

Record employment. Lowest unemployment rate since 1971 (3.9%). EU average is 6.5%. Wages rising faster than inflation.

Are you living in some kind of parallel universe @spinlondon
So our record employment is based on us having low unemployment figures.
Those low figures have nothing to do with 16 to 18 year olds now being forced to remain in education?
Nothing to do with people being on universal credit rather than Job Seekers allowance?
Nothing to do with people not being able to claim Job Seekers allowance for the first week, or having their Job Seekers allowance stopped due to sanctions?

1 particular entry on that is poundland. can you really blame brexit, or is it just that customers have realised what crap they sell? and that applies to most of the ******** in that document. next thing is they'll be blaming brexit for climate change.
Actually, the Brexit fiasco has caused the value of Sterling to drop, so it was harder for poundland to buy goods to sell for a pound.

I’m not sure what it is exactly Brexiteers hope to achieve?
There’s some talk about us regaining our sovereignty.
Something about stopping immigration.
Something else about having trade deals outside of the EU.

Regaining our sovereignty sounds all well and good, but really what does it mean?
At present, the EU (which we do have a say in) introduces laws and regulations, which our government then chooses whether to adopt.
Some we adopt, some we don’t.

As for immigration, the Tories won’t stop it, they need the immigrants to keep wages low.
Labour won’t stop it on moral grounds.

As for trade deals, it seems so far the only country that wants to trade with us, is the USA. All we have to do is lower our food health and hygiene standards (so we won’t be able to trade with the EU) and stop the cap we have on the cost of pharmaceuticals (so much for sovereignty).

And what food hygiene is this, given that we accept pre packed salads from.the EU that is rinsed in the same stuff you are playing the scaremongering games on and the fact the UK has one of the highest supermarket contaminated chicken in the western world that means it accounts for a massive burden on our NHS ... I ask what is your issue

Ps ... the EU did not block chlorinated meat because of health concerns and to note it was EU sources that made this baseless claim during brexit.

As far as I’m aware, chlorinated meat has been banned since 1997.
Yes, EU farmers wash their produce in chlorine.
Don’t know about the EU sources making any baseless claim during Brexit?
My information is that the UK refused the trade deal with the USA because meat producers in the USA routinely wash carcasses in chlorine.
It’s not scaremongering.
If we lower our standards to allow chlorinated meat, the EU will refuse to allow us to export to them, just as they refuse to allow the USA.
Or do you think that we’ll be able to work out a special deal with the EU?

Personally I am against the practice, especially when it is used to refresh already spoiling meat.

we’ve not been forced to change from pints to litres,

only on beer. what about petrol/milk/everything else liquid. and not to mention the dreaded prosecutions by trading standards for grocers selling a pound of carrots.

....I can’t actually think of any Labour politician that I would want as Prime Minister. Perhaps Dennis Skinner, Joe Ashton or Jess Phillips...
Can I suggest that you move to Venezuela for a few months before you wish for such things... you might then realise that your ideology doesn't work !!

we’ve not been forced to change from pints to litres,

only on beer. what about petrol/milk/everything else liquid. and not to mention the dreaded prosecutions by trading standards for grocers selling a pound of carrots.
You obviously don’t drink tea Tel.
Milk is sold in pints.
Petrol and diesel is sold in litres, so it doesn’t look so expensive.

and it's only draught beer that's sold in pints. cans and bottles are in mL. spirits were 1/6 gill/measure. not anymore. and have you seen all the signs that have sprung up on motorways? each exactly 0.5kM spacing.

some supermarkets still sell milk in pints, but most are in litres.

Reply to Britain Leave the European Union (Please be polite with other people's views) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net