Discuss Brief help from the industrial guys on required quals (415v) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jon T

-
Reaction score
Hi all, new here and just dropping by to try and get a few pointers from experienced people already in the trade. Sorry if it seems a bit like a hit & run but this seemed like the best place to get proper advice.

Quick outline - We're an engineering & maintenance company that does a lot of work in quarries & recycling etc. Occasionally it would be helpful to be able to disconnect/reconnect 415v motors on conveyors etc. We don't want/need to be messing about with panels and more advanced stuff, just the basics, albeit in 415v three phase.

Our guys have some 'on the job' knowledge but we obviously don't want to take any risks or break any laws, so we would like to put a couple of the lead mechanical fitters through some sort of training to cover this, but I have very little knowledge in this area and a Google search just pickles my head.

What course or cert would cover this kind of thing? Price not so much an issue as we're interested in working safely and within the law, but just trying to figure out if it's realistic or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me/us.

You will need to get the staff concerned up to date and competent in "Safe Isolation" procedures before you or any of your staff start messing with Electrical installations, both single and three phase,
And provide the correct equipment to do so, the video is not meant to tell how to do it in this case, just there to show you what is involved. Hope this is informative for you.

Thanks Pete, will have a look, but all our guys are experienced in standard lock off and isolation procedures as we do this daily, but was just exploring the possibility of training a couple of the lead guys in order for them to literally just disconnect and reconnect power when required, if feasible. Just want to keep the guys safe and stay on the right side of the HSE.

Thanks for your help

Are you a fairly large company? if so I would guess you have some sort of engineering department, with someone in charge.
In the outfits I have worked for a "PERMIT TO WORK PtoW" system was in place, whereby you had an AUTHORISING ENGINEER, who appointed AUTHORISED PERSONS, that are doing the switching off and safe isolation, and issuing the PtoW, it's a safe and proven way of insuring electrical safety, if carried out properly.
I would suggest you liaise with the engineering folk in your company, to form a robust safe working system, isolation is something NOT to be taken lightly, seen to many nasties caused by sloppy safety measures, good luck.

There are some ‘safe isolation’ courses available.
London transport have one called ‘Level 3 Safe Isolation’.
The NICEIC do one for domestic installations.

There are some ‘safe isolation’ courses available.
London transport have one called ‘Level 3 Safe Isolation’.
The NICEIC do one for domestic installations.
Thanks for that, I will do some hunting for that type of course

If your guys are reconnecting or connecting replacement motors then they should ideally be competent to test the installation.
Thanks, that's what I'm after, just certification to prove their competence. They're well versed in the operation of the items, but just wanted to know what they'd need to be able to connect power back to boxes etc. I think, from what I've read so far, that this NICEIC Safe Isolation course should cover it (as suggested by spinlondon). It's obviously all an exercise in keep us covered in the event of being queried by H&S/HSE. If any of the men aren't deemed competent then they're not touching anyway from the get-go.

Thanks, that's what I'm after, just certification to prove their competence. They're well versed in the operation of the items, but just wanted to know what they'd need to be able to connect power back to boxes etc. I think, from what I've read so far, that this NICEIC Safe Isolation course should cover it (as suggested by spinlondon). It's obviously all an exercise in keep us covered in the event of being queried by H&S/HSE. If any of the men aren't deemed competent then they're not touching anyway from the get-go.
All very laudable Jon but the NICEIC course is for Domestic installations I believe, Spin has indicated, which although probably very good it wont be much good for your Lads working on 3 phase stuff.

Isolation training will deem them competent to lock equipment off.

It will not deem them competent to be reconnecting motors.

Yes it's not difficult to physically disconnect a motor and reconnect a new one. However proving it is safe, that the motor protection is ok, are the cables ok etc etc... Just because it was working does not mean it was correct before hand.

You aren't going to find a short course to cover what it sounds like you want.

Also working in Quarries, you know that the electrical work falls under the M&Q ACOP correct? Statutory LAW unlike the normal BS7671 electrical regulations.

Isolation training will deem them competent to lock equipment off.

It will not deem them competent to be reconnecting motors.

Yes it's not difficult to physically disconnect a motor and reconnect a new one.

You aren't going to find a short course to cover what it sounds like you want.
Thanks Rob, this was kind of my initial guess to be honest, as I suspected it wouldn't be that straightforward.

I think it will pay to get them on this safe isolation course anyway, then perhaps we'll go from there. We do have a good spark that subs to us so no issue using him until the fog clears.

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.

Just noticed your East Midlands. You can get them trained in safe isolation and re-connection and testing at the E-ON college in the power station Ratcliffe on Soar. Not sure if they will cover the mines and quarries side of it.

They can get the m&Q ACOP from the HSE for free. Or certainly used to be able to when I worked in them. This was 5 - 6 years ago now mind.

An they had gotten a lot more lax than they used to be.

Just noticed your East Midlands. You can get them trained in safe isolation and re-connection and testing at the E-ON college in the power station Ratcliffe on Soar. Not sure if they will cover the mines and quarries side of it.
Thanks David, should have thought of that actually, as we have had lads that crossed over from the power stations and I have seen Ratcliffe mentioned on a few certs previously. I will look into that, thank you.

Reply to Brief help from the industrial guys on required quals (415v) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock