Discuss British gas engineer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
got called out this morning to a rcd fault on a high integrity board.. identified this to the heating system (supplied via fused outlet).... frfom there i idendified dead short N- cpc to boiler.. opened the boiler to find this... considering that BRITISH GAS ENGINEER had been to fully service the boiler YESTERDAY..!!!!!!!!!!
British gas engineer march - october 12 300 - EletriciansForums.net
how can this engineer leave the boiler like this???? the supply flex was wedged in aggainst the burner!!! elderly gentleman in his 90 this was for.. ive printed him off a copy of the photo and reccomend he complaing strongly!!!!!!!!! should the engineer recomend that the supply for the heating system be a doulbe pole isolator?? i have changed it now but thought the engineer should have sheets to fill for this sort of stuff like we have!!

You said engineer, that means useless big headed know nothing know all popping gay, usually. Unless he's putting up skyscrapers in his spare time he's as much of an engineer as the "engineer" that empties my septic tank.
(I have a diploma in engineering so this is self flocculation) (I spelt that wrong! See, engineer...)

You said engineer, that means useless big headed know nothing know all popping gay, usually. Unless he's putting up skyscrapers in his spare time he's as much of an engineer as the "engineer" that empties my septic tank.
(I have a diploma in engineering so this is self flocculation) (I spelt that wrong! See, engineer...)

Looks as if it's spelt correctly to me!!! lol!!! See Another Engineer!!!

my other half is a gas engineer/plumber, he's been to many boilers that BG have supposed to have serviced, he's never seen a good job of there's yet!

People think that because they have a big name and are a national company that they can be trusted, far from it!

If they can't be bothered to fix it they just condemn it saying that the parts are obsolete and give silly prices for new boilers!

its true just because they got a huge company name in van they think there the best thing since sliced bread.!!! just shoddy and lazy... especially for this elderly gentlman.!!

my other half is a gas engineer/plumber, he's been to many boilers that BG have supposed to have serviced, he's never seen a good job of there's yet!

People think that because they have a big name and are a national company that they can be trusted, far from it!

If they can't be bothered to fix it they just condemn it saying that the parts are obsolete and give silly prices for new boilers!

I couldn't agree more.

Many times I've been able to buy and fit the parts that BG have said are obsolete / unobtainable / not worth repairing etc.

In one such case, the customer was quoted £3k+ to replace a boiler for which I was able to buy the part for £7.

British Gas?? ..... more like British Grasp !!!!

And I've never yet seen a neatly soldered joint made by them either. They all look like a candle with the grease hanging in globs down the side.

I have also been told that the training that BG engineers receive is not worth the paper it is written on, companies outside BG won't except them!

I may be wrong but this is just what i have been told by a couple of people!

Hi Kath: Don't know what it's like on the Gas side, but I worked for them for a while on the Security side. We got the sum total of about 6 hours training on the systems they were using, i've been doing Alarms for longer than i care to remember but some of the youngsters did'nt have a clue even after the course.

Andy

I worked with one of there lads a while back, the company i was working for at the time won a contract with BG to do the wiring on their ecogen boilers, he seemed like a decent guy and his work was neat and tidy!

My training for this was a day at the baxi training centre in warrington, half a day fault finding on s and y plan systems, waste of time for me as i already had how they work and the different types of systems, this has been drummed into my by my other half!

then 10 minutes looking at the micro generation boilers, and was handed the installation manual and that was it, also a couple of other books that are handy!

Its companies like bg that causes the hse to make cpa1 (flue analysis) manadtory, as they were just servicing with the use of a flue analyser which is used as an aid for dangerous readings.
Often we would service a boiler and the customer would say, oh its should only take you 10-15mins coz thats how long the bg guy was here last yr.
Its all due to giving the works too many servicing jobs per day.

from what i have been told they done even take the front off of the boilers they just flue analysis the boiler if its ok then job done!

the amount of boilers my other half comes across with cracked insulation boards, warped spark electrodes, blocked sumps and other problems is unbelievable, he also works for a crap national company which i won't mention, gets 35 minutes to service a boiler, has between 7- jobs a day and travels about 200 miles, and moans like mad.

But he does his job properly! 1 because hes a geek and 2 he doesn't want the death of someone hanging over his head!

i think people see the tv add an asume they getting the best possible engineer they could get.. wish people used people they know and trust in the local area.!

Always use your local gas fitter / plumber.
Cheaper than BG and certainly mor reliable.

Yep a BG guy said to a customer the wiring of this thermostat is a disgrace and is dangerous plus I am minded to put an impairment notice on it because whoever did that needs shot.

Well said the customer I have been in the house for 30 years and BG upgraded the system 20 years ago plus they put the stat in and BG have serviced it every year since

A well the BG guy said you may want someone to have a look at this and that someone was me :seeya:

Have a guy lives behind us & he's got his washing machine under service contract with BG, machine goes faulty so they call them out. Their "Engineer" arrives, does'nt even look at the machine but gives him a ticket to say he won't touch it & BG won't come out again as the Electrics are dangerous. So I get asked to look at the Electrics, go there & do a visual which throws up nothing. There's a nice CU / MCB's / RCD. Wiring looks like it's been well installed, then I go to the kitchen where the washing machine lives & pull out the Installtest. Guy looks at me stupid & says the BG guy did'nt have anything like that, he just had a Yellow plug in thing with lights on. Turns out all he used was a Martindale plug in tester & that was it, I don't know what his tester showed but I checked the socket & all my tests came back ok. Replaced the Faulty inlet valve at the same time & told him to contact BG and complain.

Reply to British gas engineer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock