Discuss British Gas Smart meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tbs1983

Just seen advert on TV saying British Gas are upgrading all their customers to smart meters to monitor usage on Power, Lighting, Heating etc,

Can anyone tell me how they work?

e.g. are they linked to consumer unit somehow? without ammeter's on each circuit how can they differentiate between power & lighting usage??

BG smart meter?
Probably fiddles your reading in their favour! :)
its nowt but a spy...thats all they are.

check out the ads:

there was one with a magnifying glass scoping across the screen

then theres these new ads showing happy people in british gas`s smiley world...and everything is good about life

funny the public havn`t been consulted about these things being forced on them.....isn`t it...

yet another con....smell it a mile off...

I've got a prepay electric meter and I think that communicates with HQ when it gets topped up down the shop.
Updates pennies/kWh etc. via the key or whatever it's called.
Like it meself, no more bills! :)

Just seen advert on TV saying British Gas are upgrading all their customers to smart meters to monitor usage on Power, Lighting, Heating etc,

Can anyone tell me how they work?

e.g. are they linked to consumer unit somehow? without ammeter's on each circuit how can they differentiate between power & lighting usage??

Me thinks they are telling porkies- how can a meter do that?

Smart meters can do that. Every appliance has a consumption 'footprint' which the meter can detect the individual load profiles and compare to it's database of reference footprints. Problem with smart meters are mainly around privacy....or lack thereof. Smart meters can deliver profiles of every house including what appliances and how many you're running, also they can tell the number of occupants in the house, whether you go to work during the day etc etc. Secondly there's health issues about the RF used for transmitting the data through the system back to the company that owns them.

Data mining is big money, these things aren't going away easily.

Secondly there's health issues about the RF used for transmitting the data through the system back to the company that owns them.

Really?
The ether is saturated with EM waves with all the mobile devices, etc. etc. etc..., these days.

Smart meters can do that. Every appliance has a consumption 'footprint' which the meter can detect the individual load profiles and compare to it's database of reference footprints. Problem with smart meters are mainly around privacy....or lack thereof. Smart meters can deliver profiles of every house including what appliances and how many you're running, also they can tell the number of occupants in the house, whether you go to work during the day etc etc. Secondly there's health issues about the RF used for transmitting the data through the system back to the company that owns them.

Well...... I'm still not convinced. They would be guessing at best. Sure if there is a small peak for a kettle being boiled every 120 minutes - but what about the person who doesn't drink hot drinks??

its nowt but a spy...thats all they are.

check out the ads:

there was one with a magnifying glass scoping across the screen

then theres these new ads showing happy people in british gas`s smiley world...and everything is good about life

funny the public havn`t been consulted about these things being forced on them.....isn`t it...

yet another con....smell it a mile off...

Glenn,in case you may be unaware
There is nothing in the goverments proposed layout of these beasts that compels anyone to accept having one if they choose not to

My belief is they should be available for anyone who requests the contraption
That way people with my attitude won't have to argue the case when these companies start getting the ball rolling and try and persuade the detractors like me that they are indeed compulsory

I have read the relevant article and am 100% confident of the opt out right
British Gas Smart meter {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

yep...

its all designed to get the public in line for the `big push`....

since when did any organisation like that care about consumers...as if these things are being rolled out for the pure benefit of the public...all lies..

look at the way they train their new recruits to cheat money out of the unsuspecting.

looking after `your world?`

Rubbish! A meter cannot tell how many people are in a property and how exactly they use appliances!! Guess work at the best and like has already been mentioned, it's a way of obtaining exact usage for billing purposes!

I watched a documentary about opposition to smart metering made in the US, where load consumption and such things as level and time of those load consumptions told the analysts a wealth of personal information about the user

They were able to extract an absolute treasure trove of personal information through the study

Rubbish! A meter cannot tell how many people are in a property and how exactly they use appliances!! Guess work at the best and like has already been mentioned, it's a way of obtaining exact usage for billing purposes!
http://csserver.ucd.ie/~aruzzelli/pubs/Secon10_REAR.pdf

If you need more info just let me know or google 'smart meter electrical signature identification algorithms'

I watched a documentary about opposition to smart metering made in the US, where load consumption and such things as level and time of those load consumptions told the analysts a wealth of personal information about the user

They were able to extract an absolute treasure trove of personal information through the study

Maybe so for the average house, but it is still guess work! Most people have worked 9-5 for donkey's years, put a brew on in between Corrie etc!! It's not rocket science is it!

Bang on the money Glenn. They ain't doing it for anyone's benefit other than their own, obvious. They don't give a ****e about anyone other than the shareholders, simples.

Reply to British Gas Smart meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock