Discuss British Gas traineeships in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dougb

Hi all,

I am currently waiting to for a vacancy to arise with BG as a trainee electrical engineer. My queries are...

1. What qualifications do you gain for the role?

2. Do the paper quaifications gained from BG carry much weight in industry?

3. Is it reasonable to assume that after working for BG for around 2 years that you can setup on your own as a domestic electrician or work for a firm?

Any advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Intresting to hear back on this?
I know that the plumbers go to there own training school for block release training. Which would lead me to believe that there training isn't the same as standard apprentice training you get from a college. I may be wrong tho. I hear the money is not bad tho for training approx 12k which is better than any training wage I'm aware of.

just wondering why you would want to leave the security and conditions BG offer after only 2 years there arent many firms with securejobs these days but Im sure BG wouldnt want to train you up n throw you out at the end of it

I waited for a position to come up a couple of years back, and waited and waited and waited. Nothing ever came up.

My brother got onto their heating engineering traineeships, he stayed with them for 3ish years then left and set up on his own. From speaking with him, it sounds like they do actually spend quite a bit of time and money properly teaching their 'students'

me too. i fancied a shot at BG but like wise no positions.... Any way why work for BG when Mr Electric is always available...!! :rolleyes:

you get super training on how to wear a shirt and over shoes
you get support from the office on how to "charge"
and best of all you get a van with Yellow wrapping making you stand out like a pleb...!!

I signed up for the job alerts around a year ago with british gas and only last week recieved an alert for an apprenticeship position, it was saying that they send you to one of there training centres which i was aware of anyway but what i wasnt aware of was the fact that if your over 18 and your a successful candidate for the job role you have to pay 16k before you start is anyone else aware of this as i was quite shocked it actually stated this just before i was about to apply.

FROM the BG site

The Apprenticeship is available for all to apply. Successful candidates are responsible for up to ÂŁ16,000 of funding payable on commencement of the Apprenticeship toward the cost of their training. The Government's 'Backing Young Britain' scheme will cover this cost for eligible candidates between the ages of 16 -18*. Other candidates will have to find other funding sources or fund this cost themselves. For candidates who will be funding the ÂŁ16,000 themselves this must be paid in full before your start date. For more information please see the funding page. For more information please see the funding page
*16-19 in Scotland
Note: In line with the Sun's 'Jobs for Heroes' campaign, all ex armed forces personnel will be exempt from self funding subject to terms and conditions.

I Like how WE in Scotland are 16-19 one thing the scottish government has got correct

was discussing this with the mrs who asked "What if you have stayed on at school to get qualifications Did you have 16K when you were 16?"

Reply to British Gas traineeships in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net