Discuss British General CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mewff91

Hi all,

I bought a BG consumer unit, but it hasnt got a 20a MCB! trying to find one is a nightmare,
anyone know of any other MCBs which will look okay in the board and not totally different?

thanks in advance!

get a BG MCB. screwfix sell them. if you fit a non-BG breaker, this will invalidate any claim made against the manufacturer in the event of a fault.

b&q sell the CUs but don't stock the breakers. they stock MK breakers but don't sell MK CUs. work out the logic there.

Is it MK logic?

Don't know Tel, not set foot in that big orange dump for ages.

- - - Updated - - -

They must sell them in the Trade Point, as its basically Screwfix!

checked screwfix, none in stock anywhere tried to order in from warehouse but they are out of stock!, tried a couple of local wholesalers and they dont have them, havent tried b and q will go there tomorrow, will also check city electrical factors.
thanks for the replies !

Sorry please remember ive been out of the UK for nearly 23 years now . Are you saying you cant say put a merlin gerin Main and Diff and then say put in legrand mcb's ie mix what you want ? Just asking!

Sorry please remember ive been out of the UK for nearly 23 years now . Are you saying you cant say put a merlin gerin Main and Diff and then say put in legrand mcb's ie mix what you want ? Just asking!

Nope- BS7671:2008 states you can only put bits in a consumer unit / db that are approved by that mansfacturer

Simple answer is the settle on 1 or 2 CU brands, which you can source locally, along with spares etc, and build up a small stock of spare MCB's.

Didn't someone have the very same issue a few weeks back?
Regarding the shed.... I bet some of the peeps on here have asked the electrical "expert" for help with installing a CU :)

Reply to British General CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net