Discuss British Telecom Ring Back Code in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the British Telecom Ring Back Code is NOW. It used to be 17070 but that no longer works. You dial the ring back code and then hang up and the exchange rings you back. It used to also tell you what the number of the line is.

I am doing a job at a relative’s house in Surrey, England. Area code is 01306. This is a freebie of course as it is a relative. I want to be able to ring the land line but there is NO mobile coverage as the house is right out in the sticks so for testing I need to dial the RB Code to get the exchange to ring me back.

Just before some one asks if I am a sparks the first answer is that there is NO electrical work in the job. Also I am a retired DNO Engineer with experience of working at voltages from 230 to 132kV as well as installing large digital telephone exchanges in call centres and offices but having been retired now for 23 years I have lost all my old industry contacts.

Many thanks.
Astolat

17071 is the Openreach line test number. It gives you a menu of tests, one of which is the ring back test.

The number may not be available if the phone service is through another vendor, like TalkTalk, but I just tried it on my BT phone, and 17071 works.

Doesn't work on mine, but then I'm on Virgin landline.

The alternate way is to ring someone else and get them to ring you back on the landline.

In the late 1990s when the internet was still a novel thing and smart phones were still a dream. I had a booklet I printed off with loads of phone codes in, by entering a code we could ring friends abroad for free! suffice to say we used it a lot. Also worked with some local numbers too.
could dial into the exchange and connect through using codes. I had a littletone box that would generate loads of different tones to do different functions.
it was a slightly newer version of phone phreaking from years earlier.
One day it no longer worked and I put that down to us switching from BT to what was then telewest communications before it went to blueyonder and eventually virgin media.

Reply to British Telecom Ring Back Code in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net