Discuss Broken "earth" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 112675

Firstly, I deliberately use terms like earth instead of cpc and ring main instead of ring final circuit etc to make it clear if its not already that I am not a spark.

So doing some plastering in the kitchen and removed a single socket adjacent to an FCU for another socket below. I haven't absolutely tested this yet but I'm fairly sure the earth in the ring is broken at that point. THe ring coming in goes straight to the socket and whilst N and L are connected onwards in the ring the earth is not.

It was done a long time ago (1980s probably). Still seems like poor workmanship to me but is it dangerous if every socket on the ring neverthless has access to an earth assuming there is only one such break. Would it be enough to fail a landlord check?

Whether or not, and even though its so old, it still strikes me a shoddy and lazy workmanship, very easy to fix and the customer at the time would not have known and not have cared until a comparison test of kettles started a fire under a joist....

Yes any open ring conductor is a fault that has to be fixed.

But if it is just one break in the CPC then all sockets still have some form of earth.

However, a ring final circuit can be large enough that the looped (unbroken) CPC is needed to allow a low enough resistance so that fast enough disconnection on a fault by the supply 32A MCB (or maybe a 30A fuse) is possible to be safe.

Reply to Broken "earth" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. Have an issue i'd love some advice on if anyone would be so kind. Will try to be brief. Thank you!! So, have an intermittent RCD trip at...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all, today I experienced a near death electric shock. This happened on a single phase domestic property! I was carrying out a few...
Replies
Views
So a quick catch up so you can get an idea… I was asked to do a job for another electrician, as he is too busy. I’m busy myself but said I’d...
Replies
Views
Thought I'd seek some advice on something has been frustrating, and the frustration may now be clouding judgement....! It was 30A rewirable fuse...
Replies
Views
I wonder if anyone has some good stories of really easy call-outs made a lot more difficult by the customer's rather fixed views. Here is my...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock