Discuss BS 1363 socket circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Does anyone know if its acceptable to have the ocpd of a radial circuit serving only single sockets higher than 32A ?

2 x 6mm would be the most a socket could take so probably 40A OCPD (singles in trunking).

Was waiting for why. Basically there is 5 plug in appliances (totalling 9.3 KW including tea urns, coffee machines, fridge, 2x kettles which a vicar needs to be on simultaneously, once in a while. One circuit would be easier to run than two.

There may be diversity to be applied here, but still I would probably cut that circuit into at least either two RFCs or into two or more radials to suit, especially if you know there is likely to be frequent overloads, not so much the kettles, which maybe only on short term, but more the tea urns and coffee machine which really should be on their own circuits if they are rated at 2kW or more.

in most S/Os these days
That is a point I am getting frustrated with most s/o these days. The termination point is very reticent even properly accepting 2 x 2.5 leading to a difficult insertion. Curve, Hamilton, and the cheaper brands all seem to have a crap termination point. I took 3 boxes of sockets back last week and got some MK instead at screwfix. I don't think they are fit for the purpose. Bring back the good old days where you had a half inch round hole (ok slight exaggeration!) to double the cables over in. Try doing that now with the modern sockets. I had a trainee working with me after half an hour he could not terminate the sockets properly. I had to exchange them.

There may be diversity to be applied here, but still I would probably cut that circuit into at least either two RFCs or into two or more radials to suit, especially if you know there is likely to be frequent overloads, not so much the kettles, which maybe only on short term, but more the tea urns and coffee machine which really should be on their own circuits if they are rated at 2kW or more.

There is a reg I read earlier about water immersed heating elements, but thought it was more concerned with the bigger ones, the tea urns have a plug top on afterall. There would be no overloads if correct ocpd used; but I see your point better 2 or more circuits. Don't MK sockets take x2 6mm??

Certain ones may do, I couldn't swear to what does what these days :)
but still it is perceived as a 'bad design' when a typical RFC is designed for 32A only, it may lead to queries and condemnation by future sparks down the line :), seriously though I would stick to conventional circuits where possible ;)

Oh I am not arguing spin :) ffs we have had people on here who disagree with SB and lowering Zs, or think it is dangerous ffs, never seen a lollipop circuit before, trying to invent even more regs the list goes on and on! welcome to the new breed of "super sparks" :p
IMO, and it is only an opinion, it is better not to deviate at all unless there is no other option.

Certain ones may do, I couldn't swear to what does what these days :)
but still it is perceived as a 'bad design' when a typical RFC is designed for 32A only, it may lead to queries and condemnation by future sparks down the line :), seriously though I would stick to conventional circuits where possible ;)

Yeah I cant argue with that

A Ring Final Circuit uses a protective device which is rated 1.5 X the CCC of the conductors.
So 45A MCB, requires conductors with a minimum CCC of 30A.

You what Spin

Actually there may be something in the BS1363 standard as well that precludes this, however I don't have access to that standard so don't quote me on this :)

Oh I am not arguing spin :) ffs we have had people on here who disagree with SB and lowering Zs, or think it is dangerous ffs, never seen a lollipop circuit before, trying to invent even more regs the list goes on and on! welcome to the new breed of "super sparks" :p
IMO, and it is only an opinion, it is better not to deviate at all unless there is no other option.

I hope you aren't referencing me and my post on lollipop circuits the other day ;)
Working in a housing association where every house is wired to a spec i had never came across one before in my 6 years (4 of them apprenticeship) time at the company, only on work i was carrying out for myself.
I dont recall referring to myself as a "Super spark" but thank you for the compliment :sunglasses:

To quote a chinese proverb..

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever"

I also know what a lollipop circuit is now too ;)

How’s the vicar doing his teas and coffees just now? Extension leads off extension leads probably.
Individual radials for highest power items. 2.5 rfc for less with regular 32A ocpd.
Easier to install, easier to terminate. And 2.5 costs less than 6mm

Does anyone know if its acceptable to have the ocpd of a radial circuit serving only single sockets higher than 32A ?

2 x 6mm would be the most a socket could take so probably 40A OCPD (singles in trunking).
Question is, why would you want to? Appendix 15 BS7671

2 x 6mm radials.

That is a point I am getting frustrated with most s/o these days. The termination point is very reticent even properly accepting 2 x 2.5 leading to a difficult insertion. Curve, Hamilton, and the cheaper brands all seem to have a crap termination point. I took 3 boxes of sockets back last week and got some MK instead at screwfix. I don't think they are fit for the purpose. Bring back the good old days where you had a half inch round hole (ok slight exaggeration!) to double the cables over in. Try doing that now with the modern sockets. I had a trainee working with me after half an hour he could not terminate the sockets properly. I had to exchange them.
I remember when I started out in the 80's using contactum with large bellmouth terminals that could take 2 x 6mm cables.

Reply to BS 1363 socket circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock