Discuss BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks

Trying to make sense of the Regs regarding RCD types for a standard 13A socket intended for electric vehicle charging. Looking at 722.531.2.101 in the 17th edition Amd. 3, type A seems to suffice unless DC residual current is known to exceed 6mA, in which case it is type B. So how do I know if the DC residual current exceeds 6mA? Do I get this info from the charger manufacturer? What if the user changes car/charger?

Under 18th regs type B is required unless the equipment (presumably the charger) provides protection against DC residual currents exceeding 6mA.

So, do I fit a type A or B, or does this depend on the specific charger? If B, can anyone point to one - when searching for type B RCBO I just get ones with type B curve overcurrent protection. And according to the 17th it ahould be 'at least an RCCB or RCBO'. Does this preclude an RCD fused connection unit?

Finally I've read on other threads about notifying the DNO about new EV charging points - does this include 13A sockets intended for EV charging?

Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation - The IET - https://www.------.org/resources/standards/ev-charging-cop.cfm
Thanks! Am aware of it, but can't justify the cost (yet). One day, for sure, but there may be a new edition by then...

Noting I'm no expert, my read is B for a socket and then you've covered 18th and not being able to confirm 6mA DC protection is going to be provided.

you are very vague on information .
Who me? I thought I'd given all the info relevant to my question? And I don't see how you've arrived at 'try B' from knowing the system and location? From my reading of the regs the only thing that seems to affect the choice of A versus B type RCD is the level of DC residual current. Have I missed something? I do really appreciate your help, I'm just not sure I understand what you are saying and why?

you are very vague on information .
Who me? I thought I'd given all the info relevant to my question? And I don't see how you've arrived at 'try B' from knowing the system and location? From my reading of the regs the only thing that seems to affect the choice of A versus B type RCD is the level of DC residual current. Have I missed something? I do really appreciate your help, I'm just not sure I understand what you are saying and why?

Reply to BS 1363 socket for EV charger - what kind of RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net