Discuss BS number for old type of RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I've came across fairly old consumer unit for EICR. It looks like RCD is an old type and used as main switch.

Question 1 what is the bs number for this is rcd, 61008?

Question 2 - how would you code it in this case, rcd tested ok x1 19ms, x5 16ms. C3 as recommendation, i looks like old type voltage operated one

Thanks

Sorry to hijack thread, but on the same subject anyway for a bonus of 10 care to hazard a guess on these type switches?
BS number for old type of RCD IMG_0935.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

BS5419 for the switches. The Wylex mcbs need checking on the side for their Type as B32 is a catalogue number not necessarily Type B 32A.

It looks like RCD is an old type ... looks like old type voltage operated one

If it's voltage-operated it isn't an RCD, it's an ELCB (earth leakage circuit breaker). VOELCBs do not detect the imbalance between line and neutral like RCDs, the main earthing conductor passes through them on its way to the rod (they were normally only used on TT, and never for additional protection) so the CU earth bar does not actually connect to earth. The giveaway is the extra pair of green earth wires connected to the VOELCB.

I expect your device is an older RCD, not an ELCB, as I doubt it would respond to a normal test at all. AFAIK a BS4293 RCD is fine if a type AC BS EN 61008 would be.

with those MEM RCDs beware of a horrendous uplift on your Zs readings. Last one i came across added 349 Ohms .

Yes, should have included earlier
Looks like a nice neat install (assuming there was a cover to put back on ;))

Yet I bet loads like this will be ripped out and metal "18th" boards thrown at the wall to 'improve' things.

with those MEM RCDs beware of a horrendous uplift on your Zs readings. Last one i came across added 349 Ohms .
Really? Useful to know. Is it MEM in general or this specific model? I could see that making me run round and doubt myself or my tester if I didn't know.

Looks like a nice neat install (assuming there was a cover to put back on ;))

Yet I bet loads like this will be ripped out and metal "18th" boards thrown at the wall to 'improve' things.

Really? Useful to know. Is it MEM in general or this specific model? I could see that making me run round and doubt myself or my tester if I didn't know.
It is neat install and i don't have issues with it being plastic, no sign of thermal damage so just C3.

Sorry to hijack thread, but on the same subject anyway for a bonus of 10 care to hazard a guess on these type switches?
Left looks like typical Wylex re-wirable CU.

Right I have never seen before. The switch has an odd metal protrusion like it should have a cover that can only be removed with the switch in the 'off' position, but there is no sign of that extending for the removable fuses - it looks only for the switch part!
[automerge]1600632491[/automerge]
Looking again, the wall behind show evidence on the paint of a much larger over-cover!

Left looks like typical Wylex re-wirable CU.

Right I have never seen before. The switch has an odd metal protrusion like it should have a cover that can only be removed with the switch in the 'off' position, but there is no sign of that extending for the removable fuses - it looks only for the switch part!
[automerge]1600632491[/automerge]
Looking again, the wall behind show evidence on the paint of a much larger over-cover!
It is an MEM board and yes the interlock is supposed to prevent it being switched on with the cover off but you just push it in with your finger and the switch will operate. Likewise the aperture for the switch toggle on the cover is sized so it can only be removed with the isolator in the off position. Look close at the toggle and it is narrower at the bottom which fits through the narrow part of the aperture, the wider top part only fits through the wider part of the aperture when it is off.
Also note the unusual rating of the main switch.

Last edited:
It is an MEM board and yes the interlock is supposed to prevent it being switched on with the cover off but you just push it in with your finger and the switch will operate. Likewise the aperture for the switch toggle on the cover is sized so it can only be removed with the isolator in the off position. Look close at the toggle and it is narrower at the bottom which fits through the narrow part of the aperture, the wider top part only fits through the wider part of the aperture when it is off.
Also note the unusual rating of the main switch.

More used to seeing the grey metal version.

Reply to BS number for old type of RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock