Discuss BS3036 breaking capacity and PFC.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon....

I have just completed an EICR and am unsure if the Wylex BS3036 fuses require a code due to their breaking capacity related to the PFC.

Firstly I would like to identify if they are S1A, S2A or S4A as that would solve the problem of the PFC being 1.35kA, however I dont think its going to be possible to identify them as there are no markings indicating this information.

So I will put 1kA for breaking capacity which is < PFC!

Guidance note 3 says that you can take the s/c capacity of the fuses to be 16KA when:

the current ratings of the devices don't exceed 50A
The d/b is a 5486-13 or better
it is supplied through a type 2 BS1361 fuse rated at no more than 100A

But if the above is acceptable then I cant quite see the point in having a breaking capacity rating on fuse/MCB if we are going to ignore it?

Do most of you accept GN3 and would not be concerned? Or would you want to change for MCB's with a higher breaking capacity?

I have to admit I do not have a copy of GN3 so have just found the above paragraph on the internet, if I had the copy in my hand and could read it thoroughly I would find it easier to make a decision.

Last edited:
are you ready to carry out EICR's when you still have to come on the forum every day to get help with all your jobs ?

sorry but inspections require a level of experience you do not possess.

To be fair to hhd he has researched for a answer before asking unlike some on here. He has also shown he is capable of thinking outside the box a little bit, I am sure we have all had to look up these sort of things before.

Has he got the experience and knowledge to carry out a EICR I dont know bit at least he seems to be attempting to do it properly rather than just guessing his way through it.

To be fair to hhd he has researched for a answer before asking unlike some on here. He has also shown he is capable of thinking outside the box a little bit, I am sure we have all had to look up these sort of things before.

Has he got the experience and knowledge to carry out a EICR I dont know bit at least he seems to be attempting to do it properly rather than just guessing his way through it.

well thats just fine & dandy , but the customer could have been handed a report recommending replacement of his rewirables for no other reason than theres no PSC rating on the side of the fuse carrier.

and in my mind 3036's will deal with 3kA fault current all day long...........

see your comment, dilb, and agree. HHD has shown his dedication to the trade and, although having come in through the Electrical Trainee route, is keen to get it right and deserves all the help we can give him, respect.

Guidance note 3 says that you can take the s/c capacity of the fuses to be 16KA when:

the current ratings of the devices don't exceed 50A
The d/b is a 5486-13 or better
it is supplied through a type 2 BS1361 fuse rated at no more than 100A

But if the above is acceptable then I cant quite see the point in having a breaking capacity rating on fuse/MCB if we are going to ignore it?

Do most of you accept GN3 and would not be concerned? Or would you want to change for MCB's with a higher breaking capacity?

I have to admit I do not have a copy of GN3 so have just found the above paragraph on the internet, if I had the copy in my hand and could read it thoroughly I would find it easier to make a decision.

As you say, if the upstream BS1361 has a high enough breaking capacity, then you don't need to worry. :)

Always worth noting it on the report though.

Cheers Trev,
But that still shows the breaking capacity could be anywhere from 1-4kA which makes quite a difference with a PFC of 1.35kA.

You need to put N/V (not verified) for the Ka rating of the OCPD if its not present. Then code it accordingly on your report.

It's a difficult one to code Dillb.. I think it's potentially dangerous as PFC > breaking capacity but GN3 states otherwise.

are you ready to carry out EICR's when you still have to come on the forum every day to get help with all your jobs ?

sorry but inspections require a level of experience you do not possess.

Yes.

1.1 threads started p/week..... daily? I do get picky about inaccurate statistics!!!!

But thanks for the input :)

Last edited:
well thats just fine & dandy , but the customer could have been handed a report recommending replacement of his rewirables for no other reason than theres no PSC rating on the side of the fuse carrier.

and in my mind 3036's will deal with 3kA fault current all day long...........

Thats a fair point..

Which page is that on Biff? :smile5:

edit ..................

sorry, that was a bit cheeky! Couldn't resist!

Last edited:

HHD knows how to get the best out of the forum by offering up problems, his ideas of solutions, answering questions and giving feedback.

He could teach the majority of new posters a thing or 2 about forum etiquette!

I always go for the hard sell and lots of pressure and scare mongering hen I see someone with a 3036 board... Just kidding, but do advise them thst lthough it works and is probably quite ok, things have changed somewhat and it could be significantly better.

I like HHD, nice bloke and always curtious on here and polite.

Has the board ever experienced a fault in the past (black marks in the fuse carrier give it away)?

If it did then did the house burn down as a result or did it survive? Or did the board suffer any signs of damage (sometimes see a carbonised streak above the fuse carrier)

this will give you a clue as to its ability to handle faults

Has the board ever experienced a fault in the past (black marks in the fuse carrier give it away)?

If it did then did the house burn down as a result or did it survive? Or did the board suffer any signs of damage (sometimes see a carbonised streak above the fuse carrier)

this will give you a clue as to its ability to handle faults

Thanks Dave,

There were no scorch marks in the fuse carriers, I checked all as I took them out. This would still only indicate that either there have been no faults that have caused the fuses to blow, or the carriers have been changed (unlikely).

I'd still be interested in the value/need for a breaking capacity on a fuse carrier if GN3 is suggested it could be classed as 16kA if all the above conditions are met?

Dillb has suggested he would put down 'Not verified' and code it 'accordingly'. Other sites have said they would put down 1kA as the breaking capacity as they would have to assume the lowest if it could not be verified. 'Not verified' is the obvious choice though as its the truth!

I think this is where lack of experience does show as I will base my decision on the regulations and guidance notes rather than the time served knowledge. I am at a loss to code this one and I do not mind admitting it!

I will purchase GN3, have a proper read and then most probably it will not be any code as the 16kA will taken into account.

I would contact Wylex tech support for clarification. At least the company still exists unlike some old switchgear makers, so you should be able to get reliable info on both the rating and the type test status of the complete board. Let us know what you find, if you speak to them.

Worth noting that many of these boards were installed before routine testing of PFC. I have never seen one fail to break the circuit.

Reply to BS3036 breaking capacity and PFC.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net