Discuss bs7671 2008 ammend. 2011 - MF Joint Boxes - Your Thoughts in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

richardsolway

Hello All
Inaccessable jb's has been cover by the regs but.......

According to the new ammendment all concealed jointboxes have to marked MF for "maintainance free". (designed to be placed in inaccessable buildings voids, i.e underfloors etc).

From what i am lead to understand, they are the push to terminate style and therefore no longer using a brass terminal screw.

Does anyone agree this is a fire hazzard? as i have come accross more of this style within luminaires that have burnt out compared with the odd burnt out terminal screw variant.

This also brings me to the thoughts of the old twist on cap, which i believe was banned for such bad connections but have now made minimal standards to be sitting on the shelves once again. - Twister PRO Twister PRO - Wire Connectors - IDEAL INDUSTRIES

Anyway, my rant of the day regarding the regs is over.

Yes I saw twist on connectors that were "supposed to have been passed to 17th edition regs" last year. I did think at the time ARE YOU SURE?
However I reckon if you make sure you've done it right the first time it will be fine. As with all things, make sure to do your bit right!

would you trust something you can pull off with ease a times! - i would n't, and the push-in type to me pull out easier than they push in! these are meant to be MF and replace standard joint boxes?!?!?!?

true, cable grips are a good idea, but the idea of push-in still leaves me in fear! i still think it is best to rewire or install new back to an available accessory rather than fit those......

I am surprised to read that you have had problems with cable pulling out of push-ins. If they are bs60998 (rather than like the type you get in florescent fittings) they should be perfect. PM me your contact details and I will send you some wired samples. That said, the lighting type connectors are not as good as the others.

The other good point you raise is the mf junction box. This is another blunder by the people who write the regs. There is presently not one (that I know of - and I have been looking) that meets the requirements. There are a few enclosures up to the job BUT the trouble is that there are no connectors that have been tested to all the requirements of BS5733! (not even the one that is advertised as such!).

Reply to bs7671 2008 ammend. 2011 - MF Joint Boxes - Your Thoughts in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock