Discuss BS7671 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As above, buy from a reputable seller. Otherwise you risk getting a counterfeit version. False economy trying to save a tenner.

Just in case you were hoping for a downloadable version, the IET do not publish one. Therefore, any such versions you may find, will be illegal copies.

(There is such a thing as a subscription to an online version, but it's very expensive).

Hi
Thanks, but I wanted a free copy, since i'm not an electrician. shouldn't it be available like legislation?

Hi
Thanks, but I wanted a free copy, since i'm not an electrician. shouldn't it be available like legislation?
No, because it’s a British Standard and not a legislation. You don’t have to work to BS:7671 to comply with legislation, but you do have to be able to prove your work is at least as safe as work to BS:7671 if you choose not to use it.

It’s like the difference between the Road Traffic Act and the Highway Code. One is the legislation that you’d be charged in accordance with if you’re caught breaking it, the other gives guidance on how not to break that legislation in the first place.

Hi
Thanks, but I wanted a free copy, since i'm not an electrician.

If you're not an electrician, why do you want a copy?

If it's out of genuine interest, which is keen enough to make the content valuable to you, then is £60-odd too much to pay? Or possibly less if you can get lucky on eBay.

What is your current level of knowledge re electrical installation work? The book is not an instruction manual - if you don't already know a fair bit then not only will you not be able to learn from it, you might well not understand it, or much of it.

It’s like the difference between the Road Traffic Act and the Highway Code. One is the legislation that you’d be charged in accordance with if you’re caught breaking it, the other gives guidance on how not to break that legislation in the first place.
Did you know that not keeping up to date with the Highway Code can make you look bad in court? I once had to go on one of those speeding awareness courses, and one topic which came up was when had we last looked at copy of the HC. Well, for all of us who'd never taught a sprog to drive it was "when I passed my test".

One of the guys running the course picked someone and told him to imagine being in court charged with a motoring offence, and being questioned by the prosecuting lawyer.

"Do you consider yourself a good driver, Mr Hapless?"
"Yes"
"When did you last read the Highway Code?"
"1970"
"Are you aware that since then there have been X totally new editions of the Highway Code published, with a total of Y changes since you last looked at it?"

(Y, BTW, is going to be in the hundreds, and all of a sudden you no longer look like such a good driver)

Some aspects of the Highway Code are a legal requirement

Legal aspects​

Certain rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and are identified by the words ‘must’ or ‘must not’. In these cases, the rules also include references to the corresponding legislation. Offenders may be cautioned, given licence penalty points, fined, banned from driving, or imprisoned, depending on the severity of the offence. Although failure to comply with the other rules would not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, the Highway Code may be used in court under the Road Traffic Act to establish liability. These include advisory rules with wording ‘should’ and ‘should not’ or ‘do’ and ‘do not’. In general, only the latest official printed version of the Highway Code should be used but in legal proceedings, whether civil or criminal, the version current at the time of the incident would apply.

Yes, but it’s the Road Traffic Act that actually makes those rules a legal requirement. The Highway Code references the Legislation and interprets it in an easy to understand form using words like “must” and “must not” to make it easy for drivers to comply with the laws of the Road Traffic Act.

The Highway Code is a standard used to prove compliance (or otherwise) with the Road Traffic Act. It is not in itself Legislation and that’s why the RTA is free to browse online but you still have to pay for the Highway Code.

Nope, your extract actually explains why dodger421's comment is correct.

the highway code has no legal standing, it explains how to interpret and correlates all the actual legislation.

For example "rule 124" explains that you must not exceed the speed limit, not because the highway code says so, but because it is in the road traffic and regulation act - it then shows which sections apply. it give the same information as the RTRA but in a format understood by the common man rather than the legal language and complexities of the actual act.

If you "break" the limit, you do not get charged with breaking rule 124 of the highway code, you get charged with exceeding the limit as defined in the RTRA.

as dodger says the road traffic act/RTRA/highways act etc are the actual legislation.

Yes, but it’s the Road Traffic Act that actually makes those rules a legal requirement. The Highway Code references the Legislation and interprets it in an easy to understand form using words like “must” and “must not” to make it easy for drivers to comply with the laws of the Road Traffic Act.

The Highway Code is a standard used to prove compliance (or otherwise) with the Road Traffic Act. It is not in itself Legislation and that’s why the RTA is free to browse online but you still have to pay for the Highway Code.

The highway code is free online, as are all the acts, the traffic signs is also available free online

Edit added links

online http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk
pdf http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...ial-highway-code-with-annexes-uk-en-12-04.pdf

KYS Know your traffic signs - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/know-your-traffic-signs

Hi
Going back a few years before I first engaged with 16th edition regs, I read a book by John Whitfield called "The Electricans Guide to the IEE Wiring Regulations". I found it an excellent book that introduced the concepts required. Not a replacement to having the full regs but actually surprisingly close.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem he's done an 18th edition version.
If your interest is as a hobbyist then I'd actually suggest getting hold of his 17th edition guide which provides a very good introduction. You might be more inclined to spend £11 than £60!

If however you want it as a reference guide with respect to specific situations you need the real thing.

If your interest is as a hobbyist then I'd actually suggest getting hold of his 17th edition guide which provides a very good introduction. You might be more inclined to spend £11 than £60!
Or even look at the free 16th Edition version on TLC's site. TLC Electrical Supplies - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm

Yes, it is even more out of date, and can't be relied on to tell you what the regulations say now, but a lotof the basic concepts in it don't change.

Reply to BS7671 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net