Discuss bs88 for single 230v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

allybally

I know this might sound like a daft question and I think I know the answer, but a Hager bs88 fuse carrier is rated at 415v three phase, I want to use it for 230v single phase, for a welder, I take it there's nothing wrong with that as long as the readings are ok, I haven't tested or even installed it yet but I'm on TN-S and very much doubt I'll get the Zs even close to low enough

Thanks and be kind :)

I know this might sound like a daft question and I think I know the answer, but a Hager bs88 fuse carrier is rated at 415v three phase, I want to use it for 230v single phase, for a welder, I take it there's nothing wrong with that as long as the readings are ok, I haven't tested or even installed it yet but I'm on TN-S and very much doubt I'll get the Zs even close to low enough

tye fuse carrier will be fine, you might just need a bigger cable,l

Thanks for the replys, I'm hoping to run a welder in my shed, going to be supplied by 16mm 3 core SWA, ivenever really done much industrial/commercial to know a great deal about this, I was hoping to use a 25 Amp D type mcb as recommended by the manufacturer, but don't think Zs will be low enough, and have been told a 150amp output welder will trip a RCD, so am looking at alternatives, and Hager sell a bs88 fuse carrier that sits on a din rail nicely in my garage board

Thanks for the replys, I'm hoping to run a welder in my shed, going to be supplied by 16mm 3 core SWA, ivenever really done much industrial/commercial to know a great deal about this, I was hoping to use a 25 Amp D type mcb as recommended by the manufacturer, but don't think Zs will be low enough, and have been told a 150amp output welder will trip a RCD, so am looking at alternatives, and Hager sell a bs88 fuse carrier that sits on a din rail nicely in my garage board
if you think zs will be a problem go for 3c and bigger cable use calc to work it out

you could use 75mm swa if you wanted whatever it takes to get zs low enough

Im a little lost with this question, why are you saying you can't get Zs low enough on a circuit you haven't even wired yet, is there a problem with the Ze reading.
Bs88 fuses give you a more relaxed Zs to comply to so I'm a little confused to your post, can you please rephrase it or explain better.

Im a little lost with this question, why are you saying you can't get Zs low enough on a circuit you haven't even wired yet, is there a problem with the Ze reading.
Bs88 fuses give you a more relaxed Zs to comply to so I'm a little confused to your post, can you please rephrase it or explain better.

Sorry low enough to use a Type D mcb, why I'm thinking of using a bs88

Thanks

I have a Clarkes welder not certain of the full code, but it ends in 185.
It was at the time of purchase, the smallest of the industrial welders that Clarkes did.
I use it via a 13A 3 pin plug and it quite happily works on a B type MCB.

I have a Clarkes welder not certain of the full code, but it ends in 185.
It was at the time of purchase, the smallest of the industrial welders that Clarkes did.
I use it via a 13A 3 pin plug and it quite happily works on a B type MCB.

Thanks, mine is output 150 amps, in current max 21amps not taking into account of inrush, in my old house I had a 25 amp type C that tripped when the arc struck
And wasn't that handy

You need to take your Ze first before we all start throwing shots in the dark, Bs88 will give you more room but you still need to comply so you increase the cable size or add additional earthing until you can meet Zs... you can calculate this before install.

Its the case often for my machine wiring where I have to increase the cable by several orders to meet Zs and VD so a 80amp supply to a machine was wired in 70mm or 95mm to ensure these are met, now if the machine was next to the mains only a 25mm would have been plenty adequate.

I would try not to use an RCD if possible.
If you do not intend using the welder outdoors, then as described there is no requirement (as yet) for RCD protection.
Is the welder stick or wire?

I would try not to use an RCD if possible.
If you do not intend using the welder outdoors, then as described there is no requirement (as yet) for RCD protection.
Is the welder stick or wire?[/QUOTE
It's going to be only inside by myself a skilled person :-S so no risk assessment needs to be considered yet and it's a wire fed Mig welder, will be hard wired

Seems really wierd.
Not sure of the AMPs of my welder, but I believe it is greater than 150A.
Unfortunately, there is no equivalent currently being produced.
I've used it in a variety of places, on all settings and never had it trip out anything other than the odd 13A plug top fuse.

Reply to bs88 for single 230v in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net