Discuss BS951 clamp onto incoming supply SWA cable - DIY TNS? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently came across an installation, very rough in practically all areas, however one thing caught my eye.

The TNS earthing arrangement was via a BS951 clamp onto the armour of the incoming supply cable. This wasn't a lead supply cable (as I have seen before with BS951 clamps) it was SWA with a section of the sheath cut and a clamp applied to the armour wires.

Now I am wondering if this is a DIY TNS as it is an old terraced house and a number of similar properties in the local area are TT earthing arrangement.

I am well aware that the incoming cable is the DNO property and if they see fit to supply an earth like this then so be it but it looks dog rough. What would your thoughts be?
20150618_123851_zpskz081deh.jpg

This is the thing it was a flying visit to do a recce on behalf of an estate agent. The tenant has made a complaint to the local building control/housing regulation regarding a number of issues and the building inspector cited electrical safety as one point.

I will ultimately be carrying out an EICR at the property but wanted some opinions on it before the time comes.

my first job would be a Ze to verify that the SWA armour was, in fact, earthed.

Does look rough. I think your best bet is to spend some time fully investigating it see what you come up with. Where is the CU?

CU (old wylex rewireable) is just to the right out of the picture. No main bonding whatsoever, only 2 circuits for whole of house (lights and sockets), big gaping hole in front of cover....

It's not looking good!

Listen to uncle Tel.:biggrin5:

I have no intention of doing anything other than listening to uncle Tel, I'm currently writing the estate agent a rather long winded email explaining why an EICR must be carried out without delay.

Do get rather sick of trying to explain to people (specifically tight a*sed landlords) why their installation is so unsafe while they try and tell me it has worked fine for years

my first job would be a Ze to verify that the SWA armour was, in fact, earthed.

If it is a row of properties,and the details of supply/earthing are not known,i would have a quick search of the route of your incomer/earth,BEFORE disconnecting,for your Ze. :yesnod:

Reply to BS951 clamp onto incoming supply SWA cable - DIY TNS? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net