Discuss BT Master sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've just looked at a place where as part of other work, it makes sense to move the phone sockets around. My question is:

The master socket is being fed directly from the street pole, no other JB in the circuit. Can I interrupt that cable, divert it elsewhere by extending it, then from off of that new position (prob with a new master socket) radial/spider an additional two circuits to secondaries - without BT having cause for complaint?

And as a second question, if I want to run two lines exterior and then bring them back in again, what's the best cable to use?

They would have a cause to complain as it is their equipment so to speak. But, I would do it anyway. Just use a krone strip inside your JB and some black UV resistance telephone cable for the exterior runs.

if you move the BT master socket without using BT kit they may find out later and you could pick up a big bill.at the moment they are telling the engineers to try and find something chargeable to the customer on each visit.beware!

That's kind of what I was thinking - do it, but be careful!

To be honest, if you use the original BT master socket, you could do the work and providing you do it right, BT would never know as they do not keep any records of their installations.

To be honest, if you use the original BT master socket, you could do the work and providing you do it right, BT would never know as they do not keep any records of their installations.

I doubt that there's enough length left on the drop wire to get it to the new position without getting extended, so that would be a bit of a giveaway, I think, unless BT were ever in the habit of putting master sockets in lofts?

I doubt that there's enough length left on the drop wire to get it to the new position without getting extended, so that would be a bit of a giveaway, I think, unless BT were ever in the habit of putting master sockets in lofts?
never, you can put a 77A in the loft and run from there,was ok when i worked at BT the rule is the master is always on show as this provides a point to split between customer wiring and the exchange line,

What about the upstairs bedroom?
Have done that before as customer did not want telephone points around the house as they had wireless handsets with the main base in the office/bedroom.

never, you can put a 77A in the loft and run from there,was ok when i worked at BT the rule is the master is always on show as this provides a point to split between customer wiring and the exchange line,

How about a 77a under the eaves from the drop, running to a master socket in the front room in external PVC cable, then using two of the 'spare' cores to run back up to it, then distribute from there? That way the BT stuff stays external right up to the hole through the wall to the socket, but all distribution is still via the master.

How about a 77a under the eaves from the drop, running to a master socket in the front room in external PVC cable, then using two of the 'spare' cores to run back up to it, then distribute from there? That way the BT stuff stays external right up to the hole through the wall to the socket, but all distribution is still via the master.
No a BT 77A is for internal use only,outside you need a 66B and gel splices,best to stick the 77 in loft and work from there.or do you want me to post you some splices?

This is getting perilously close to train spotting..... :conehead:

i kept all the staple guns and cutters and have about 5 exchange phone instruments, il add a pic this week sometime and you can tell me if any use???? he dissappeared to america and i cleared his house out....

i kept all the staple guns and cutters and have about 5 exchange phone instruments, il add a pic this week sometime and you can tell me if any use???? he dissappeared to america and i cleared his house out....
yep no worries mate probably have manuals if you need em.drop me a pm

il let you tell me what they for first... ty.

i added extra lights to a circuit with a dimmer this week in a house and all of a sudden the phone hums,,, the bt socket is beside the light switch and the cables run down beside the switch wires....

and this never happened before, i said cause the extra lights.. any quick fix guides phil...

Reply to BT Master sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net