Discuss BT new install new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, As some of you know, I'm doing a new build house. I wanted the new intake Master phone point to be sited in an internal cupboard position. Property is block beam, suitable u/g ducting installed under the block beam with draw rope. apparently I'm told I can't have the BT phone line installed there. I've got to have an unsightly grey PVC capping where the cable will emerge from the ground on the outside brickwork at low level and the BT cable drilled through wall and Master point other side of wall. any one had similar dealings with BT? I can't think why it is not acceptable with a phone cable. I can understand safety issues if it were to be gas or DNO's cable.:hammer:

Not strictly true
We do new builds in derby and just leave the tail from master socket sticking outside the exterior front wall
The internal master we can fit were we like
I think its down to bt engineers

I know that there was, at one time, a move to provide a modernised junction box on the outside of the house where the internal wiring would meet the incoming underground cable. This junction box would provide the demarcation point between BT and the customer rather than the two part front master socket that has been installed for many years. Perhaps BT are wanting to have an accessible junction box rather than going direct into the house. Of course there may be other reasons!!

Not strictly true
We do new builds in derby and just leave the tail from master socket sticking outside the exterior front wall

Must be, I know BT engineers and they are told 3 mtrs max

Just had telephone line put in our office, in loft space easily 5m from the outside of the house, they left about 10m of cable coiled up too and a spare nte5 in case we want to move it.
Also currently on a new build where it has been put in the centre of the house, 8-9m from the front door with a termination box on the external wall, whole lot installed by openreach.

Think its down to to the guy who comes to do it. Probably a guideline somewhere stating 3m max tho for the jobsworths.

Just spoke to BT....The reason is...wait for it....GAS inc ground gas and even touched on water filling up the ducts. Apparently when BT connect into the chambers they carry out gas checks. Everyday a school day!

Not strictly true
But that is it.....BT stop at property, then connect onto customer's cable. I wanted the BT line to from chamber to internal Master point direct via u/g grey Bt ducting

Reply to BT new install new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net