Discuss Builder Training Centre - Electrical & Part P Courses in Surrey in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I did the Part P regs test last year with the builder training centre. The test was half A day. only one other electrician was there with me. From the start of that week there was about 12 non electricians taking the builder training centre's full part P. These people seemed to be general builders, kithen fitters and someone who worked in sainsburys. I found the test easy as did the rest of the class.

What I dont think is right is the class who took the full weeks course were asking about testing and certificates. They seem to think this would give them the knowledge, competence, confidence to sign off their work as is probaly why general builders were on that course but it doesnt. They are not confident, competent or have the knowledge to sign off their work or someone else's work, but probaly have been.Tutor did say at the end of the day that they will start doing testing and inspection training courses soon. Another good money earner after the Part P has finished.

Still doubt you can become an electrician in 5 Days though.

Cheers Sean

Still doubt you can become an electrician in 5 Days though.

Cheers Sean

YOu can't but you become a competent person......(after certification from a body etc big difference between Part P and being an electrician)

Have just passed the Part P with them, I consider this to be one of the main requirements towards self certifying my Plumbing related work.
The courses are short but they do state that a certain level of knowledge is required before you attend, when I did one of the foundation courses there were a few people that were clueless and shouldn't be allowed to continue without lots of further training.
Generally the course was informative, fun and was run by people that are/were in the trade and know what they are talking about.
The Part P exams were not that difficult so long as you knew the content. Of course that's easy to say now that I passed!

I recently attended the full range of electrical courses at the centre. I passed all my exams mainly thanks to the instructor Richard. The foundation course was much better than I had expected and the tutor was more than happy to go over the same bits if anyone in the class didn't grasp it first time. The Part P was equally as good and the knowledge of the instructor (again Richard) was excellent. We tried a couple of times to catch him out but to no avail. I then went onto the 17th Edition and finally the 2392-10. I would like to say the centre staff and trainers were brilliant and nothing was too much trouble. I have already put my name down for the 2391 course and have also attended the plastering, tiling, plumbing and kitchen fitting courses and all were very good which I have already put the skills to use on my own and mothers houses with good results (needs to be with my mum!!!)

attended part p 4 day course, 17th 4 day course, 5 day foundation and 2392. ,all good courses, good instructor, passed every course at 95% or over. Very Hard work but not as hard as now trying to reach the next level and get work. There were all sorts on the courses, re skilling, updates, some sparks who had failed courses elsewhere and had come to try again.
will do 2391 there at some point.
I would say that the foundation is not for total beginners, you will struggle if you have have not done any electrical work before.

Gotta say, not used them but kind of put off.

It may be just a terminology thing, and it may just be something else.

But they offer an intruder alarm course.......and promise to teach you about BS4737. That's fine, but save for a few sections of it, now incorporated into PD6662 (the UK's interpretation of EN50131), and it's been that way since 2004, there's little point in learning about 4737 at all.

To be fair, they do say they'll teach you about EN 50131, but again, the wording is all wrong, and no mention at all of the standard we actually install Intruder alarms to in the UK - which is PD6662:2004.

It also doesn't mention that you require approval from a police recognised body if you want to connect remotely monitored systems to an ARC, though it does mention Part P regarding spurs.

Basically, it seems to be saying spend £2k with us, become an alarm installer, and off you go......

There is actually a C&G exam for qualification in these systems, which they seem not to offer.

Still, seems a reasonable cost way of learning about the systems you'll need to defeat if you're going to burgle for a living - should recoup that on the first decent job you don't get caught on.

Hi not sure your doing the centre credit as you haven't attended the course, I can only comment on the courses I attended which have not, currently, included the alarm course. I'm due to attend the 2391 course shortly and will let you know the outcome.

Gotta say, not used them but kind of put off.

It may be just a terminology thing, and it may just be something else.

But they offer an intruder alarm course.......and promise to teach you about BS4737. That's fine, but save for a few sections of it, now incorporated into PD6662 (the UK's interpretation of EN50131), and it's been that way since 2004, there's little point in learning about 4737 at all.

To be fair, they do say they'll teach you about EN 50131, but again, the wording is all wrong, and no mention at all of the standard we actually install Intruder alarms to in the UK - which is PD6662:2004.

It also doesn't mention that you require approval from a police recognised body if you want to connect remotely monitored systems to an ARC, though it does mention Part P regarding spurs.

Basically, it seems to be saying spend £2k with us, become an alarm installer, and off you go......

There is actually a C&G exam for qualification in these systems, which they seem not to offer.

Still, seems a reasonable cost way of learning about the systems you'll need to defeat if you're going to burgle for a living - should recoup that on the first decent job you don't get caught on.

Hi not sure your doing the centre credit as you haven't attended the course, I can only comment on the courses I attended which have not, currently, included the alarm course. I'm due to attend the 2391 course shortly and will let you know the outcome.

I wasn't trying to do the centre credit or otherwise. Nor is it about whether I took the course or not. It's about whether the course represents good value, and inherrently does what it says it does.

What I say remains fact - that course alone will NOT make you an intruder alarm engineer, and it will NOT equip you to run a business involved in the sale or maintenance of intruder alarms. It may well help you along that path a little though.

I'd point out, too, that my comments largely are based on the course, and not the centre.

What I say remains fact - that course alone will NOT make you an intruder alarm engineer, and it will NOT equip you to run a business involved in the sale or maintenance of intruder alarms. It may well help you along that path a little though.

I'd point out, too, that my comments largely are based on the course, and not the centre.
Yes, I have to agree with you , the same goes for any course or qualification taken at a private or further education college. Infact from the blurb I have read they do make it quite clear that the course is only an introduction to alarms/automation.

Just completed my Part P with BTC in Croydon.

Overall, very good. The instructor, Richard, had a clear presentation style which, combined with his considerable experience and endless patience (and, beleive me, one or two of the guys on this course needed patience), resulted in a very practical and pragmatic take on the subjects covered.

The facilites are pretty good. The centre is conveniently located (for both the M25 and rail) and, more importantly, they offer training at weekends -which is invaluable for someone like me who can not easily get time off during the week to attend courses.

Now looking to complete my 17th Edition and have lined up a couple of 'show' jobs (change of CU at my own property and running an external spur to my sister in law's garage) so that I can get myself onto a self-certification scheme (I know, I know).

When I was thinking to attend a course at Builder Training Centre in Surrey I searched for info about this centre but did not find much. So i decided to go for a foundation course, and take it from there. Now I have attended a few courses there, and I thought that it might help someone to give some feedback on the training.
As I mentioned, i started with the electrical foundation there, I liked their way of training. Micheal and Richard, both were very friendly, and never got tired or lazy to go over and over again on the questions asked. They were helpful, so I decided to continue with other courses there, and so far I have done Part P, Testing & Inspecting 2392, I have booked 17th edition and 2391. As far as I know, everbody in my groups passed the exams.
I attended on weekends, which was good to have some homework during the week and before the exam.
So, in my opinion, if you are about to start these courses and looking for a place, consider Builder Training Centre as you will not be disappointed.
If you want more info about this centre, i'll be happy to answear any questions. All the best.
Please leave feedback if you've been on this course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Builder Training Centre - Electrical & Part P Courses in Surrey in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock