Discuss Builders Prices in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sxsparky

can you guys give me an idea of prices for builders or even message me a guide.
I really dont want to come unstuck as have done a few jobs on price for builders but with hold ups etc it soon eats into your money.
As with boarding of walls whats the best route as some builders are helpful and take cables though the board others i find just stick the boards on timer framed buildings walls and you have to hope for the best, if not it seems a case of cutting holes and fishing cables as they have moved them when putting insulation in.

What prices per point, do you charge per light, per switch, per socket, per circuit etc

Hope you can help

thanks

Good luck on finding the answer to this one....

You have to decide how much do you want to earn per day to make it worth your while and then figure it out from there

Hi Mate , Difficult to answer really , we always overprice on new build compared to retro-fit simply because of the reasons you've listed.
Normally we tend to go in by 40% more.
Hope this helps.
Lee

As with boarding of walls whats the best route as some builders are helpful and take cables though the board others i find just stick the boards on timer framed buildings walls and you have to hope for the best, if not it seems a case of cutting holes and fishing cables as they have moved them when putting insulation in.

I'v never trusted builders to pull cables out in the correct place, so I always fold cables up, draw a plan and instruct them to leave behind the walls. At least that way i'm never messing around guessing where cables are!!

Rich

I'v never trusted builders to pull cables out in the correct place, so I always fold cables up, draw a plan and instruct them to leave behind the walls. At least that way i'm never messing around guessing where cables are!!

Rich

Same here mate, take some measurements of where your points are, one thing i would say though is if they are using celotex etc in the ceilings make sure you get them to leave out a space where your downlighters are goin!, nightmare otherwise!, but make sure you ask them at least 3 times cause
builders never do what you ask, even if they do pull your cables through they allways do it right tight to a joist so it messes up installing your plasterboard socket boxes and the cables are all at different heights too, moan......moan....moan!

Last edited by a moderator:
not done much in the way of priceing to be honest (bit scared of it to be honest ) but rewires ive done have charged £50 per point socket wise dont no if thats right but i suppose its what ever ur happy to work for.

Hi sxsparky, as above really. Never trust anyone to pull cables out for you. Have known cables to mysteriously have moved location between first and second.

Best you can do is try and take the idiot factor out and take notes, draw diagrams with measurement of all accessory locations.

Best of luck wa.

To be honest I rarely use dryling boxes atall. I tend to noggin and fit a metal box slightly proud. That way no cock ups. Downlights I just coil up and make a proper plan. Got to be defensive with it in my opinion.

Rich

Reply to Builders Prices in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net