Discuss builders in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lloyd1980

what would you do in my situation guys?
2nd fixing for a builder
hes so disorganised, problems everywhere, hes called me in far too early
ive fitted most of the chrome accesories the board etc, only things left to fot are couple of chrome switches and sockets in this glazed archway, thats not being glazed until aug, so at min open to the elements
ive tried getting back there a million times and its never completely finished even tho the builder promises it will be, without tiles finished and shower plumeed and fitted I cant fit and test, ive been back off and on for weeks, I only initially allowed 5 days to fit up as big job, I now have all the chrome stuff to pay for at wholesalers and still dont have a date when can get in finish and invoice, due to builders incompetance

what would you all do in this situation????:mad:

what would you do in my situation guys?
2nd fixing for a builder
hes so disorganised, problems everywhere, hes called me in far too early
ive fitted most of the chrome accesories the board etc, only things left to fot are couple of chrome switches and sockets in this glazed archway, thats not being glazed until aug, so at min open to the elements
ive tried getting back there a million times and its never completely finished even tho the builder promises it will be, without tiles finished and shower plumeed and fitted I cant fit and test, ive been back off and on for weeks, I only initially allowed 5 days to fit up as big job, I now have all the chrome stuff to pay for at wholesalers and still dont have a date when can get in finish and invoice, due to builders incompetance

what would you all do in this situation????:mad:

talk with wholesalers... :( try and organise a extended credit limit...!!!!! or ask builder for money for materials..¬:(

isnt there some way you can request money for materials and any aborted ,short visits as extras ? You could change your TnCs for next similar situation

I'd talk to the customer and ask for a draw to cover you material bills. If the wholesalers put you on stop. That with cause problems with any other work you have to do.

Builder sounds like a bit of a plonker

I would certainly give him an interim invoice for material and time to date and make him aware the accessories fitted are his liability

I would not have fitted chrome accessories before I was sure that they would not be damaged can be expensive having the customer request that scratched chrome accessories are replaced because they have been fitted for months and been damaged by other trades during finishing / decoration

Don't like jobs where the builder strings them out it sounds like this job has been going on for a while and I would have wanted staged payments for that sort of job i.e. 1st fix, partial 2nd fix and completion. I would guess he is getting payments from the customer every month and he's probably been paid for your work and materials upto now

Yep, definately a case for an intermediate invoice. I'd be expecting it if it was me messing someone around (not that I'd do that ;)). At least then you'll know where you stand with getting paid. If it all goes sour then you can at least get your fittings back.

I split it into 1st and 2nd fix invoices
1st fix invoice has been paid ages ago, its all this stuff which needs something doing about it, there is 1000's of £ worth of materials tied up in this , on the face of it at the start would have taken 2 people a week to fit up and test
its now gone on for weeks
I have exchanged a couple of emails which are to the point with the builder
his take on it is that ' such is life' and they are just behind with the work
my take on it is that he is a tool, has called me in far too early and hasnt managed the job very well, hence the kitchen has been fitted before the tiles in kitchen floor have been finished or grouted, the tilers have tiled the wrong bits, hes forgotten to put rads in where there should have been
and now im hanging on like a lemon with a huge outstanding amount at the wholesalers , the builder told me last week it would be ready for me last friday. I go AGAIN to try and finish, I get there , the builder is nowhere to be seen, the bathrooms not finished and the shower hasnt been fitted, I speak to the customers who just happen to be there
oh the builder has told us the plumber is coming next thursday!!!!!!!!!!
Builder hasnt bothered to tell me and I have yet another wasted trip
Im on hol next week for 2 weeks so if cant get in this week then it will be aug,then will take 10 days to be paid off invoice by which time wholesaler bill will be well over due
I just dont need this sodding stress!!!!! the bloke is a muppet

put it this way, until I say the final screw has been tightened then the job is 'ongoing' and until he pays me he is not getting any paperwork, and he cannot complete or finish without having it
as soon as I see the credit then will log it with LABC
pe-nis

Last edited by a moderator:
even on a new door bell?

Why not, I can't think of a reason not to mark it up

I work on the principle of three numbers on an invoice, my phone number, the invoice number and the amount I'm owed. I am not a registered charity so I don't have a charity number to put on it so I don't give it

Last edited:
I'd talk to the customer and ask for a draw to cover you material bills. If the wholesalers put you on stop. That with cause problems with any other work you have to do.

prob nicest way to stop falling out with builder think loosing face first time / happens again ,hit hard

Bloody hell I have just read all this to then realise it is 4 years old is there no way it can be flagged so we know before we start getting drawn in. I will never get those 10 minutes back in my life.

Bloody hell I have just read all this to then realise it is 4 years old is there no way it can be flagged so we know before we start getting drawn in. I will never get those 10 minutes back in my life.

I think Dan is paying a couple of peanuts to some muppet to trawl through the forum and resurrect these ancient threads to help his KERCHING factor.

Cynical .. ME??!!! ;)

Reply to builders in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock