Discuss Building Control BS7671 Certification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys , Haven't posted for a while. I carry out commercial, industrial Electrical works mainly & on occasions I have carried out Domestic Rewires, probably 1 or 2 a Year. I usually submit relevant certs etc through Building Control of at least 2 Council Authorities without a problem,pay around £80 -£100 to register. I enquired with a new Council asking their procedure for submission of Certs etc, they said unless you belong to a accreditation scheme there will be a charge of £381. They will not do what other councils will. I have C&G 2381, 16th-17th update & 2391, I am 65 years old now, do I really want to join the Niciec or similar. I assumed that as it is stated in Document P, methods of notification through local authorities, that they can not refuse me trying to comply. I know Part P has been around for a long time now, maybe I have had enough time to join a scheme.Your thoughts would be welcome!

You need the Installation to be Part P certified to be get final approval of the building from the Council.

You cannot do that yourself if you are not a member of one of the electrical schemes, unless you inform the Council beforehand, and they inspect during the construction.
You've found that various Councils have different charges, which we knew.

There is now a new scheme available that wil suit you, 3rd party certification. However, there are no actual people available to do it yet, as there is no defined agreement of what is required. BSI, Stroma and NAPIT are the only Bodies available to do this scheme (well, Members of those Bodies). NAPIT are not doing it yet. BSI and Stroma, no idea, but the news last week was that although the agreement is in place now, no-one is actually doing it.

So your options are to become 'Part P' certified, which will cost you £500+ a year, pay the Council for them to Inspect/pass it, or wait a few weeks for the 3rd Part Certifiers to Inspect/pass.
The 3rd party Inspectors fee may be less than the Councils, but I'd reckon on £200+ each time.

If you want to stay legal you have no choice but to either couch up the LABC fee or to join a
r£gulatory body. However, there is not a notification police force waiting to kick down the front door of any homeowner who does not notify (after all it is their responsibility, not yours) and drag them off to part p jail.

Local authorities are just as much as con merchants as the scam providers.
Just email all the relevant documents to them and leave it at that. Its notified. You have proof. Its daft that YOU pay them nearly £400 for them to READ a cert.
**** 'em.

From a legal point of view yes you have to notify them. There is no law that says you have to pay to do so its just THEIR policy -not yours!

i tried that. the buggers would not accept it. however, they will accept it for jobs like extensions etc., where building control is already involved. som i'm competent to wire up a new build, but not to fit a fan in a bathroom. bloody crazy. all they want is money to fill out a "building notice". what building? nothing's been built if i do a rewire. all a big scam. if we all refused to join schemes and notify work, the whole corrupt mess would die.

Thanks guys for your input,very interesting comments, not sure yet what I shall do, maybe join the Niciec, at 65 I am still capable of working to earn a few quid, & as we are living longer I may have years left, So don't really want to retire, but don't want to outlive my finances set for my old age. I guess maybe ask the Mrs, she may want me at home with her ! Thanks again!

Hi Guys , Haven't posted for a while. I carry out commercial, industrial Electrical works mainly & on occasions I have carried out Domestic Rewires, probably 1 or 2 a Year. I usually submit relevant certs etc through Building Control of at least 2 Council Authorities without a problem,pay around £80 -£100 to register. I enquired with a new Council asking their procedure for submission of Certs etc, they said unless you belong to a accreditation scheme there will be a charge of £381. They will not do what other councils will. I have C&G 2381, 16th-17th update & 2391, I am 65 years old now, do I really want to join the Niciec or similar. I assumed that as it is stated in Document P, methods of notification through local authorities, that they can not refuse me trying to comply. I know Part P has been around for a long time now, maybe I have had enough time to join a scheme.Your thoughts would be welcome!
lets get one thing quite clear:

they are basically trying to question your competency...that is to say unless you join a scam...you cannot be considered competent

what a load of old crap.

just do the work...issue the ticket and sod LABC...

what a racket.....

If you're not Part P then pay up or risk prosecution....

Just for my own clarification what do you mean by if your not part p?
I don't mean to sound like I'm being derogatory towards you but I hate it when people say stuff like that and also ask "have you got your part p"
I could give my 18month old son a copy of approved document p and (if he could speak yet) he'd say he has part p.
It was my understanding that part p is a legal document which electricians and other trades who dabble (some badly) in electrics, have a legal obligation to abide by. So in theory there is no such thing as having a part p you just merely adhere to it. The closest thing to "having part p" is the 2393 course which is building regulations for electricians.
Sorry Murdoch I'm not bitching about you but so many people and clueless about what it is. I now bow down to your superiorority lol tinhaton

You don't need to be in a scheme to rewire a house, providing you are competant and issue a EIC at the end to the customer and you inform them they need to notify Building control you need not worry, There is no such thing as being part p qualified either, it is a building regulation which can be downloaded for free from the web for guidance.

Close.
Part P (and the rest of the alphabet) is essentially a Guidance Note to meeting the requirements of the Building Regs.
See Part P, page i.

Just for my own clarification what do you mean by if your not part p?
I don't mean to sound like I'm being derogatory towards you but I hate it when people say stuff like that and also ask "have you got your part p"
I could give my 18month old son a copy of approved document p and (if he could speak yet) he'd say he has part p.
It was my understanding that part p is a legal document which electricians and other trades who dabble (some badly) in electrics, have a legal obligation to abide by. So in theory there is no such thing as having a part p you just merely adhere to it. The closest thing to "having part p" is the 2393 course which is building regulations for electricians.
Sorry Murdoch I'm not bitching about you but so many people and clueless about what it is. I now bow down to your superiorority lol tinhaton

Its not about bowing down. You are actively undertaking rewires of property, you clearly understand the need to comply with LABC notification and there are set ways to achiveing this.

Ignorance, in the court of law, is NOT a card you could play.

If your LABC will not accept your qualifications then that is their perogative......

perhaps you should consider going for a position at one of the scams....

as you seem to be in love with this Part P thing mate...it comes across in the way you seem to defend this nonsense Murdoch...

sorry mate....i`m only saying...

You don't need to be in a scheme to rewire a house, providing you are competant and issue a EIC at the end to the customer and you inform them they need to notify Building control you need not worry, There is no such thing as being part p qualified either, it is a building regulation which can be downloaded for free from the web for guidance.

exactly Mike..

but the usual member in here keeps clinging to the notion that part P is something noble....

perhaps you should consider going for a position at one of the scams....

as you seem to be in love with this Part P thing mate...it comes across in the way you seem to defend this nonsense Murdoch...

sorry mate....i`m only saying...

And I'm only saying how it is.........

your talking rubbish again pal.

Please stop it....its embarassing...and is also untrue.

Just to inform those that may not be aware:

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE PART P REGISTERED TO CARRY OUT REWIRES.

YOU NEED TO BE COMPETENT TO DO SO.

the sooner more of us are aware of these facts the better.

Oh, and before anyone starts about "court"...or..."part P police"...or dare i even say..."prosicution"........how many...just how many have actually been through the law system for not notifying?...or carrying out install that was notifyable?

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE PART P REGISTERED TO CARRY OUT REWIRES.

Wtf is this part p registerd nonsence? There is no such thing!

Edit: if you are referring to competent persons scheme then can everyone please call it that? Otherwise its just confusing 'ordinary' persons.
I had a rather heated debate with my cousins husband a while back. He was saying "you need your part p to do domestic work" (he works for Manchester council. I tried telling him he was wrong and work only needs to be completed to standards/requirements of part p.
He still wouldn't have it.
And I'm sick of these "colleges" offering 3week "part p" courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wtf is this part p registerd nonsence? There is no such thing!

Edit: if you are referring to competent persons scheme then can everyone please call it that? Otherwise its just confusing 'ordinary' persons.
I had a rather heated debate with my cousins husband a while back. He was saying "you need your part p to do domestic work" (he works for Manchester council. I tried telling him he was wrong and work only needs to be completed to standards/requirements of part p.
He still wouldn't have it.
And I'm sick of these "colleges" offering 3week "part p" courses.
yes yes this is what i was refering to....
so called `competent persons schemes`..

except many on them are simply not competent.....see it every day nearly....short course `incompetent persons` work...

Reply to Building Control BS7671 Certification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net