Discuss building control fee for electrical work even though its my job in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ab1978

Hi all
I'm in the middle of a arguement with local building control over my 2 storey extension on my own house, last year it was started and when i applied for building regs etc i told the B.I bloke that i'll be doing the electrical work as its mfull time job in the day. Told him i could'nt use my niceic reg as it for the company i work for they pay for it, so he said give me copy of your qualifications including 17th update. got back to me and all i have to do is supply electrical certificate, no fee as i'm paying for building regs. well this morning i get a letter saying as i'm not registered with a part p body its invalid and if they do not get one electronically in 28 days from letter then the project will not be considered not satisfactory and when i rang them they stood by the letter and what i was told last november is wrong and they want £342 to send their electricain to test and check all meets part p. has anyone had this problem before

they are talking crap. as long as you are qualified and competent, they should accept your installation certificate.

Pretty sure the building control fee's you paid for the extension, would cover the electrical Part P. So it's only your qualified/competency they can ask you to prove. A letter from your company should soon sort that one out, you have already supplied them with copies of your qualifications... lol!!

Also, if you have an acceptance letter from your LABC about the electrical installation certificate, as indicated in your post, wave that in their faces. They cannot retrospectively ask for anything over and above, that has already been agreed in writing between yourselves...

Well the Part P document says the certificates used used must comply with the ones in BS7671, which also states
The certificate required by Part 7 of BS7671 shall be made out and signed or otherwise authenticated by a competant person or persons in respect of the design, construction, inspection and testing of the work

BS 7671 definition of a Competent person
A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

So reading that it says to me that as long as your certificate is compliant with BS7671 it shall be acceptable that the installation is installed correctly.

thanks for the replies folks
Think I'll pop into local council offices tomorrow as i'm working nearby and take my quals and electrical certificate for the house ext andtell them to explain to me what the difference is between what I'm giving them here and the one that they want which will be the same but cost me £342 and somebody elses hand writing

What's your position in with your employer mate? If you have been there a long time and they trust you implicitly you might find that one day they "might decide that it could have been done by the company and someone forgot about it"
Unlikely I know but possible.
That'd pee on LABC's firworks

Oi Oi Oi Trev said nowt bonny lad! Trev was merely discussing what may be the strangest of coincidences:)

LABC and building inspectors certainly know building regs but are not up on electrical regs. If you are competent, normally all they want is a cert and a copy of your quals just to close the file and issue a BC certificate. Your Inspector seems to have lost his way in the red tape

The LA are correct , to register a job you need to be part p certified/registered with one of 6 bodies yourself regardless of how many PhD's you have . Your only way round it is to get the company you work for to sign it off for you hence them taking on the liability under there insurance witch you probably don't have as your cards in ? ,

There was a document issued from the office of the deputy prime minister stating that the labc's could not charge for inspection if the notification fee was included in the planning permission and building fee's. This was a while back , shortly after the the inception of the "first edition of part P". A search may find it for you.

A look through the part P document may help you too, I'm sure there is still some info relating to it on the Gov web site.
If I get time later I will have a look if you can't find it.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/AD_P_wm.pdf

Download the document and browse the site , it may help you

well just let you know i've been onto them today again and my bs7671 cert for the electrical work is not valid as i have to be a member of an reg body, this is because there is nobody who inspects jobs has the knowledge of the electrical side and its easier for them for reg electricians to supply the certs electronically. other words they have'nt got a clue about this part of the building trade have they.

Been on to them, or gone in to see them?? Face to Face is always better!!! You don't HAVE to be registered with any scam provider, so even if they want to play silly buggers the fee has already been paid in your building fee's, so it's up to them now, if they wish to pay a 3rd party to inspect your installation or not.

Not only that, you can and have already proven your competency, ...Hell, if a electrical trainee can be deemed competent, i'm sure you won't have any trouble whatsoever...lol!!!

Reply to building control fee for electrical work even though its my job in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock