Discuss building control question. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

j.chal

hi all

I am an electrician and just started doing work for myself, I have been installing solar subcontracting so have not needed part p as the company I work for is. I have all qualifications apprenticeship and testing 2391, solar and more and am to the 17th edition wiring regulations.

I have got a job installing sockets and a light point in a cellar for TVs and a projector for a little cinema room, this would not normally mean I would have to notify building control but there is no ring to break into (all sockets are spurred and cable not in correct zones in this particular room) and I cannot get access to ground floor cabling because of the type of flooring. the consumer unit needs updating as it has no RCDs (old MCBs) but the customer doesn’t want to pay for this as same as everyone has low funds, I can’t force him to update it, the ccu is above the room in question.
I take it I cannot wire new ring and lighting into existing CCU as it is a new circuit not protected by an RCD less than 50mm from wall surface and used by untrained persons so best option I think new ring and lighting wired into a separate 2-3 way mains unit next to the current CCU. (There is space)

What are my obligations with building control? I know I have to notify it now as it is a new circuit but surely I don’t have to pay 150 + inspector charges when 1 the job will only be about £500 and 2 have to pay inspector charges when I have all the relevant qualifications to produce certification. Am I reading this entirely wrong how much is all this BC inspection going to cost?
Sorry if something like this has been posted before.

are you going to chase the cables in in the cellar then? and i like the fact that this guy doesnt rate his electrical safety over the need to have a cinema, ie he wont change his fuseboard cos low funds, but has cash to convert his cellar into a cinema?????

you have 4 choices.

1. notify and pay the extortion.

2. do the job and don't bother notifying.

3. bring in another spark who is a scam member and do the job together.

4. apply to a scam provider , use the job for your assessment, and notify through them after joining.

it's debateable. if he's fitting a separate CU to feed the cellar, then i would say it's notifiable as it's a new circuit/s

If you are supplying a new circuit in a dwelling or associated with a dwelling then the work requires notification to building control. It does not matter where in the dwelling, if it is a new circuit, it is notifiable.

however, if you come off the RFC 30A fuse in the CU to a RCD/MCB or RCBO alongside CU, then it's not a new circuit, the new work becomes part of the RFC. splitting hairs maybe,

I agree, I'm being bad and replying to this while in my van, not thinking straight, I was thinking about special locations according to building control, as you say... New circuits need notifying

thanks to everyone for saying there part it is most helpful....does anyone know how much it might roughly cost to get the building controll to come and inspect, the job will only be wirth 500 or so any ideas?

The cost of notifying varies widely by region. By the way this does not apply in NI or Scotland if you are there.

Some councils if you can demonstrate that you are qualified electrician may agree that you can ntofy for a small fee, it may be worth ringing them to find out.

Other than that the notifications can vary from £100 to £600, you should be able to find the details if you look on your local council website.

I have just looked up mine and seen that for a non registered electrician doing work the total charge would be £456.

It would be far cheaper to get a Part P sparky in to run in a new radial/ring with the minimum sockets installed than you doing the install and paying LABC to come out. Once its signed off then you could extend it yourself. That said maybe it would be better to get the whole job subbed out!

according to Part P, the notification is down to the householder, and the council are obliged to carry out any in inspection and testing at no cost to the housholder.

if this is the case ill just do it and leave the notifying up to the customer, that would be ideal!

Give LABC a call and ask them what the price is.

Don't give them any details about the job your doing or anything, as they may come and check earlier.
Tell them that your a sparky and you will do your own installation Certs (and make sure you do!)

My LABC charges me £60 to inspect my work after I have certificated the installation, and they dont mind when I inform them as I am doing the cert and they dont need to see the work in progress.

Otherwise go onto your council website and search for BC and have a look on there, it is with my local councils.

if this is the case ill just do it and leave the notifying up to the customer, that would be ideal!
Now your thinking
In the real world where jobs dont involve building control for other reasons.part p is non existent to a great degree
To the letter of the law it may be naughty not notifying,but thousands if not millions of households are being very naughty and have done so since its inception
The other alternative is wait

Part p in my opinion is finished,thats if it ever got started in the first instance

Even us registered sparks are blissfully ignorant of what is and isn't notifiable after all these years,so what chance the vast majority of householders who have never heard of the nonsense

Last edited:

Reply to building control question. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net