Discuss building control re:filling in chases in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lukeallen88

i recently rewired a house and when the building control inspector came round the first time he asked about filling in the chases is this a requirement? because i aint no plasterer:confused:

well not at first but he then later asked if it would be possible to fill in chases I replied that i would attempt to but im no plasterer and that id do best i could. which brings me to my next question what is the best way to fill by using plaster or just basic filler?

What I've done is to get in with a local plasterer and pay him a rate of maybe £50-100 depending on the number of chases. This way the job is left spot on ( if i did it, it would be like my nan had done it ). It also looks good and gets you more work as people will give you better feedback to others.

good answer, chip. i do the same if money is not too tight, but sometimes do my own filling using one coat plasrer from b&q. great if wallpaper is going on, bit rough for paint. thats why i bought an industrial orbital sander. but always best . each to his own. contract a plasterer if you put a bit on the price. as long as you don't let a plumber near the job, should be ok

I would leave them until all the chases have been cut, boxes fitted and the first fix completed then fill them with bond, leaving it 2 or 3 mill below surface. I generally make the bond slightly to watery, because it can take a while to fill a lot of chases. I would then return to skim over the bond when I am second fixing.

The trick is to blend the skim in, so its plastered over each side of the chase by about 4 or 5 inches, then go away and plaster over another 1 or 2 before returning to the first, by now it will probably be drying, so use a sponge to wet your trowel before going over it again but you will need to keep your trowel wet and you will get a better finish if you keep the water clean.

Plastering is really not difficult, just takes a bit of practice and patience.

Ian

The cost of getting a plasterer in is offset by the time lost you take to do it yourself. My mate comes in while i'm snagging, testing and generally tidying up, if i did it i would be there maybe half a day to a day longer. This time lost could be better spent doing what i can do, which makes me a lot more than what i pay a plasterer.

Plastering is so easy.all I do is take my brother with me,he's a dab hand at 2nd fixing and ace with the trowel. and the only plasterer I know who does his own mixing and cleaning upPlastering doesn't bother me one bit

Reply to building control re:filling in chases in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net