Discuss Building Control Route for notifiable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

marshr02

Okay. Deep breath.

Qualified electrician (C&G2381,2391), not a member of any competent person schemes because I only do one or two jobs per year (my day job isn't as an electrician)

I would like to use the local building control route for Part P work. As I am doing the work, only I can complete the EIC. If I notify LABC prior to starting (using a 'Building Notice') how do they assess my work?

- is an Electrical Contractor employed on contract to the LABC, who will carry out a PIR?
- OR does the Electrical Contractor, supervise first fix, second fix, and issue a report for LABC- but not EIC, PIR...

I ask this forum, becuase maybe someone has been employed by LABC to assess electrical work...

Cheers for any help..

No 2 is the usual.

What you must also think about is that some LABC's charge anything from £100 upwards for this service, so if you are only fitting a few downlights for instance then it could loose you the job by the time you add this on top of your quote.

Thanks Jason. I only work for myself, or friends & family though. So I need to stop work before first fix is covered up. And also I guess the contractor needs 2 visits....

Thanks Jason. I only work for myself, or friends & family though. So I need to stop work before first fix is covered up. And also I guess the contractor needs 2 visits....

I would advise you to contact your LABC and ask them what is required and the cost.

To be honest - I think they are a bit disorganised on the whole topic...and don't know what to do. But you're right - I'll contact them..

They are very disorganised as Part P was thrown on them when they didnt really want it.

Thanks WarrenG. Unfortunately it all falls down if you take the notify Building Control direct route. They literally are running scared about how to assess the work - and talking to colleagues across the country all LABC departments have been coming to different conclusions.

I was even told once when contacting LABC that the work would need to be done by a competent person scheme i.e. there wasn't then in reality a second option other than employing someone from a competant person scheme.

What about this for an option:

- I know only the person doing the install can complete the EIC
- I know competant person schemes warn about certifying the work of others
- What about if I do all the rough work, chasing out, installing the back boxes, running the cables, and wiring up the faceplates
BUT; the cct is not energised, ALL the cable route is left exposed.
if needs be the electrician can strip cable & replace.

Are their electricians willing, and legally able, to finish this work as their own; as if the apprentice had started the job?

Total guess, but assuming I've done my bit correctly (C&G2381,2391), then it's a morning of visual checks, powering up, and electrical tests - followed by an afternoon of doing the appropriate paperwork. I'm guessing after adding an amount for fixed overheads a bill of £400 would cover? Is this a reasonable price - don't shoot me down folks....

PS. The work = Kitchen sockets, hob, oven, and kitchen lights

You may find a registered sparks in your area that would come in and view first fix, then when plastered do testing and paperwork etc, but its gonna be tricky.

Trouble is, its the scheme providers that wont allow it, as this is what Part P states.

BUT, the council are allowed to appoint someone to do it.

Madness eh?

I think the electrician should be able to make a professional judgement on whether to work on a part started project - rather than Part P schemes barring him.

What if I employ an electrican, am not happy with the work, and get someone else in? They start again from scratch? Seems mad.

If we ensure electricians under Part P are competant folk - then we allow them to make the decision using their professional judgement.

I reckon banning commisioning work is a commercial decision by Part P schemes to maximise their profits.

out of interest Jason, why the need for two trips? Can the faceplates be screwed on prior to plastering?

If replacing faceplates because of wear & tear isn't notifiable - then surely I can remove faceplates for the purposes of plastering? (obviously ensuring the cct is dead & labelled dead with mechanical restriction for accidental turning on :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
An inspector could come out for first and second fix to make sure the installation is being installed to BS7671.

Even if everything was upto scratch and the testing was complete the Inspector would only be allowed to sign the Inspection & Testing part of a 3 signature BS7671 Electrical Installation Certificate.

So if you are looking to have a BS7671 certificate at the end of the project, then the installer will have to sign the other 2 area's and be able to prove to be competency.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BS7671 certificate is not the same as certifiable Part P compliant. I can legitimately complete an EIC as a Chartered Engineer - it's just that for 'dwellings' Building Control Part P also applies....

Thanks WarrenG - especially for the other posts.

The whole point of this post though is to get info on the building control option of the two. In particular how they assess a building control application for electrical work...

Thanks Guys for the replies. I am a little frustrated because of misunderstandings.

I know these are the only two compliant options - I want peoples experience of the building control route.....

Reply to Building Control Route for notifiable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock