Discuss Building Energy Performance change? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have heard or read this and cannot find where. I have seen or heard it proposed that PV and FIT qualification will be aligned with the RHI, This would mean a property meeting Green Deal Ticks rather than an EPC of D. It would make sense in terms of consistency but would probably only apply to domestic properties. There a lots of implications.

Has anyone else had wind of this? If so, where did it come from?

If this happens a Green Deal Report will be required which will increase cost's. An EPC along with an occupancy assessment forms the report.

Please good no, the EPC requirement is enough in itself. Having to do a green deal assessment plus install all green deal tick measures would be a right nightmare

There isn't a great deal of difference between the two in terms of requirements for interventions. It would however benefit older buildings where achieving D is difficult because of the nature of their construction (eg solid wall). Solid wall insulation will be excluded from any requirement under RHI.

At the moment GD assessments are more than EPCs. However, if there was a change I could see the price coming down.

This might benefit a few of our previous customers in grade two listed buildings and one I am quoting on now built in 1800's with solid walls and an old oil boiler so maybe it might benefit the hard to treat houses who can't reach a D rating.

If you look at the measures for the RHI to qualify. 250mm Loft insulation and cavity wall be needed. GDA are £150.00 and DEA are around £40-50. So the cost will increase for PV installs.

I haven't seen any change proposed for FiTs eligibility but it doesn't really make much sense to have two differing qualification levels for RHI and FiTs (and EPC 'D'+ never really made sense) so I wouldn't be surprised if the FiTs one is changed to align with RHI.

It would also boost DECC's statistics for the number of Green Deal Assessments carried out.

As jason says the RHI requirement is to have a minimum of 250mm loft insulation and CWI - if the GDA recommends them. And a follow-up EPC to show that they have actually been installed if they were missing at the time of the GDA. So double expense on assessments for the householder.

That would make much more sense on the HTT properties, since they are the once currently least able to do anything. It would also help the government's stats by moving a number of properties up the EPC ladder...

Reply to Building Energy Performance change? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net