Discuss Building furniture.... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tidy Max

Anybody built there own furniture at home?

Me and the gf have just got our first gaff together and basically can't afford out! So i am building whatever i can. I have designed the bed but started first with the wardrobe.

I am making it out of scaffolding boards mainly due to how cheap i can buy them, heres a couple of pics so far....
20150127_172246 (Small).jpg20150129_145443 (Small).jpg20150129_173502 (Small).jpg20150201_150051 (Small).jpg20150201_163702 (Small).jpg

that'll show up the neighbours' ikea rubbish. can't beat furniture made out of reclaimed real wood.

I consider them usually between 10-10.15, 14-14.30 and 20-20.30 when i am pulling a late one, digestives for me mate.....

But no i haven't, never done much work with wood but seeing as i have done everything else in the house i thought i would give it a crack. I have just bought the collins wood bible (should be £25, £2.50 on amazon oosh!) that has various joins etc.

I am having varying success with the dowel to be honest although it looks good once done its taken a bit of fannying about.

What would be the advantage of biscuits? I am building the doors out of multiple pieces to get the affect that i want so maybe i should consider biscuits??

What would be the advantage of biscuits? I am building the doors out of multiple pieces to get the affect that i want so maybe i should consider biscuits??

I'm thinking once you've routered out your slots for them, you'll get a more accurate joint, i.e. less sanding down afterwards.
Drilling holes by hand can be a bit random! :)

Woahh wooah, theres nothing random about it. Accurately measured with a steel ruler and marked up with a metal try square! But you have a point :)

I don't have a router unfortunately! One issue i am having is that all of the boards are marginally different widths, so i have been doing some inventive planing and sanding. 80g,120g then raising the grain and cutting back with 240g twice. Then waxing twice!

I am making some filler out of wax also for the joins to smooth them over completely. Really looking forward to making the bed.... and dining table!

At £10 per 13 foot board i can't help myself!

Woahh wooah, theres nothing random about it. Accurately measured with a steel ruler and marked up with a metal try square! But you have a point :)

I don't have a router unfortunately! One issue i am having is that all of the boards are marginally different widths, so i have been doing some inventive planing and sanding. 80g,120g then raising the grain and cutting back with 240g twice. Then waxing twice!

I am making some filler out of wax also for the joins to smooth them over completely. Really looking forward to making the bed.... and dining table!

At £10 per 13 foot board i can't help myself!

You should watch "The Salvager" on TV. This is exactly the sort of thing he does.
key_rico_lesalvager960x540.jpg

hi I did 15 yrs building furniture from old pine ,etc old floorboards are good with the tongue an groove removed ,buy yourself a biscuit jointer ,some old caustic for colouring and fiddes wax.scaffold planks are ok for table tops ,but remember to use buttons to keep the top floating (stops it cracking ) pm me if you need any help
cheers

My dad's mate used to work on a heritage railway. He said they bought planks of wood in for about £15 each and sold the old ones off for about £50 each because after they'd used them they had become 'old railway sleepers'.

Either way it looks like what you've done there is way better than buying furniture pre-built. Made to measure furniture would cost you more still.

What are buttons mick??

We need some railway sleepers for the garden! I didnt think they would be that much! Cheers Adam, yeah its definitely better than some of the stuff we looked at.

We bought an 'oak' coffee table from oak furniture land when we first moved in. NEVER AGAIN!!!

the rails which the table top sits on have a groove in them ,about 6mm wide and 6 mm deep about 12mm from the top of the rail all the way round (do that first ).then you make buttons from scrap wood maybe pieces of 20mm thick by about 50mm wide and 75mm long these have a rebate at the end which sits into the groove and is then fastened to the table top with a 45mm screw thro middle so the top is not actually fastened to the side rails but floats on the buttons.also good is pvu glue (foamy) sets in half hour and works on damp timber .also van dyke crystals to stain it .get hold of a fiddes catalogue (wales) there is evert=ything you need to finish wood

I once made a sofa and 2 reclining swivel chairs with mk1 Capri seats, also a bed from pallets and floorboards, fire surrounds from timber salvaged from our old raised deck, even made an octagonal dressing table mirror, coasters and place mats from the oak bar top from a pub we refurbished and loads of other bits and pieces from salvaged materials - it's one of the ways I relax away from work plus saves a few quid as I'm a tight Cornish man - have even sold quite a lot which is always a bonus

If you have a wood work shop near you it might pay to ask them if they could run your board through their planner / thicknesser for a small fee.
Or even think of buying one like this http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/erbaue... Power Tools&gclid=CL2IhcPBxcMCFczMtAodOAsA8A

I made all the beds etc when i first got married as money was tight so good on you for trying the same.

(Just one note for you make sure your floor boards can take the extra weight as your boards are well over the top for what you are making lol)

I mithered the cabinet builders/installers on a job i am doing at the moment and when i told them i was sawing scaff boards down the length they said "f that, bring em to the workshop and we will run them through the thicknesser for you" BOOM.

That will save me some time then :)

Thanks for the replies, i need to start hunting for hinges next. I have already sourced the scaff poles for the hanging rails :)

Reply to Building furniture.... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net