Discuss building inspector not happy!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon all..

I have recently been asked if I would sign off a new installation (large new build house) that I had not installed, I said 'no' and explained that I could supply an EICR. Even after a brief look around I could see a number of problems.

The building Inspector has said that he is not happy with an EICR and is going to 'have a think' about what to suggest.

Being new to this industry I wondered what you guys do when this situation arises? I.e new build where the electrician has walked out for whatever reason so the work cannot be supplied with a EIC and the Inspector is not happy with an EICR from a third party?

Cheers..

Theoretically he could ask to have the work ripped out and re installed and an EIC issued.
But normally an EICR is accepted, no matter how bad things look, at least if any faults are identified then they can be rectified and if the results were really bad then the rip out and start again is always an option.
As Des says down to BC to do their job.

Did you find out why the original sparks are gone?
Could be a money/payments due issue and you are making it easy for the builder to continue to not pay the original.
Not saying this is the case, just, did you ask?

Boydy

Theoretically he could ask to have the work ripped out and re installed and an EIC issued.
But normally an EICR is accepted, no matter how bad things look, at least if any faults are identified then they can be rectified and if the results were really bad then the rip out and start again is always an option.
As Des says down to BC to do their job.

Have you ever seen that happen Richard or is another solution normally found?

Did you find out why the original sparks are gone?
Could be a money/payments due issue and you are making it easy for the builder to continue to not pay the original.
Not saying this is the case, just, did you ask?

Boydy

I'm more there helping a friend who is an electrician so he is dealing with the developer, he did say that he met the electrician who did the work and that that was actually the 'second' electrician to come in, so goodness knows what happened to the first.

I asked him to find out why the 'second electrician' is not offering an EIC but he didn't ask, I'm guessing the chap isn't registered and neither is my friend anymore (more industrial/commercial).

Thanks for the replies.. I'll be interested to see what the Inspector says!

If the truth be known, probably no spark involved, all installed by the builder with the help of a couple of his painters!!

Thats kind of the feel that I'm getting. I think the developer just expected to pay off someone to sign it off.... he's very well off and made it clear he wanted it signed off quickly, so I expect he's not too happy with the current situation!

I wonder if the BC bloke has spotted some show stopping work and isn't happy because it's so bad....

- - - Updated - - -

Normally they don't give two hoots, drink a cup of tea, check there are 498 smoke alarms, run hand along plaster and leave

I do not personally know of a rip out and start again scenario. But this would not normally be the first action unless the install was very dangerous, rectification is more the style (which would require an ECIR to find all the noticeable faults).

Do yourself a favour and walk (run) away.
If you get involved with a "well off" developer at this stage in your career you will eventually be sucked in ££ and blackened. Think dance with the devil/playing with fire.

Boydy

HHD - look into a process called regularisation. Many BC departments have this for exactly this kind of situation. I can send you a pdf of how the council near to me does it. Costs a bit though ~ £300??

EDIT: the pdf would be completely free...!! The 300 squid is the council's exorbitant charges!

We don't know the full story

It could be that this developer has been getting the builder etc to do the electrical work without a spark being involved except to sign it off.

Now the BC have had enough of ot and now making it an issue over numerous EICR being supplied for work to be signed off.

I have a similar situation ongoing at present. Its a new build and the electrician has 90% completed the job and has had a breakdown , I have been asked to finish the job and issue a cert so I spoke to BC and was told they will not accept an EICR but if I was to replace the brand new cu and issue an EIC for the board change then that would be fine.

Its the building inspectors call. An EICR can back that call up. But signing off is deffo down to the inspector on this one. Not your install so stay away from that side of things.

My local BC have categorically stated as a matter of policy that they do not accept EICRs for new builds, they will only accept an EIC (because that's what the regs say). Not sure where exactly that would leave the OP down here!!

Reply to building inspector not happy!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net