Discuss Building inspectors and notifying work. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When working on a house where a building inspector is involved do the electrics get notified twice?

What I mean is, the building inspector signs off the work after he's happy with it, does that mean he's signed to say he's happy with all the electrics and that they have been notified? I obviously notify the electrics at the end but if I didn't would the electrics have still been notified as he has passed the install?

My BCO ‘s won’t issue a completion notice without the relevant electrical certificates ....and part p certificates where appropriate

if it's an extension, say, where BC are involved in the building work, you can, even if not in a scam, provide a cert to BC, as long as they recognise your quals. then the electrical works are notified via the original building control notice

if it's an extension, say, where BC are involved in the building work, you can, even if not in a scam, provide a cert to BC, as long as they recognise your quals. then the electrical works are notified via the original building control notice

Think I've see you say that before, have you got it through successfully? Did you actually ask, or just hummed a nice tune and hope nobody notice?

Only reason I ask, is cough, I did some electrical work in my house and the BI just asked for certs. But when I asked about changing my windows for upvc stuff myself, I had to pay an additional fee to BC.

as tel says,in west lancs, wigan and chorley if there's a building notice or plans in then i can just produce a cert and bc are happy (along with my 2391). no fees ,only once on a rewire did bc insist i put a building notice in ,cost £75 .

my local BC asked for copiy of 17th and proof of competence as a practising spark. then all i need to do is send them a copy of the EIC. this only works if they are already involved in the building works. otherwise i need to get jobs QS's and notified by a NICEIC or elecsa registered mate.

my local BC asked for copiy of 17th and proof of competence as a practising spark. then all i need to do is send them a copy of the EIC. this only works if they are already involved in the building works
As Tel posted you can include this under the rest of the works being carried out eg extension etc.As you can just for the electrical work. All you have to do is meet their criteria of being competent.

On all the big jobs I've done for my builder friend there has always been a building inspector but he's never asked to see the certificate and never asked me if I've notified it. There's been a few different inspectors as well. Perhaps the customer shows them their copy, but I doubt it.

So you dont know, but thought to post a comment anyway!

Well in the small amount of domestics I have signed off that is what is required. I cannot speak for every local authority in the country however.

If you are looking for an argument carry on as I am well in the mood for one tonight. If not wind your neck in.

You would comment like that to my face so don’t do so behind a keyboard.

Behave like a man that your mother would be proud of.

Reply to Building inspectors and notifying work. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock